I finally found what I've been looking for! Thanks everyone!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I just wanted to give a quick thanks for everyones input in trying to help me on the past couple Threads I opened titled, "Adding some beef???" and "High quality graphic EQ?" amongst others.

As you know, I've been looking for something to give me some more bottom end for my Fender MIA Jazz (Passive) and my Fender 250/115 rig. Well, after days of dwelling, and experimenting I've finally found what I was looking for it the Sadowsky Outboard Preamp.

At first, I bashed the Sadowsky, saying it smoothed out my coveted growly passive tone... which it did, at higher settings though. I kept messing with it, and I've found EXACTLY what I've been looking for, using the bass boost at around 8 o'clock. Yes, 8 o'clock... just a tad boosted above flat. (Same w/ the treble)

At first, I was setting the unit at 12:00 then around 10:00 and still couldn't find what I was looking for. It did add bottom, but it also smoothed my (here's that word again) Growl. So I set the controls flat, and then boosted the bass by 1 "hour", then about 1 1/2 "hours" (Somewhere around 8 o'clock)

(((_!!(_!!( !THERE IT WAS, THERE WAS THE TONE! )!!_)!!_)))
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

As I stated on the previous Threads, I love my Fender J's natural growl, but wanted something. I didn't know exactly what, but something. I started to feel maybe I wanted just a boost at around 40Hz. I wanted something to do this, without changing my tone. Well, at low, extremely low settings, the Sadowsky does it! I kept it for a couple more days, before I sent it back to the store, and I'm extremely happy I did.

I find that at low settings, the Sadowsky is magic. It didn't alter my tone much at all, but gave me a good feeling of "support" under my already great tone. It gave just a little "heft" under my growl. All while retaining my passive, growly tone.

The unit is MUCH clearer then the Aguilar, which for me, in an effort to preserve my original tone was needed. The Aguilar was great, and I had high expectations for the unit, but found a little more color then I'd like.

All and all, if you find yourself in the situation I was in for the past couple months, and your looking for a little more "heft" and "support" under your tone, and you want a box that will do it in a transparent way, I couldn't recomend the Sadowsky enough. Boost too much, and you have a lot of bottom, and a diffrent sounding bass (IMO anyways) I found my sweet spot at around 8' oclock ... maybe 8:15... ;)

Its fun sometimes to boost more and sound like Marcus Miller, but not all the time. ;)

Thanks to all! And a special thanks to DavidmWilson for his patience w/ me! Thanks man!
  2. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    That's great! I think the Sadowsky pre is fantastic. I switched from the Sansamp over. Still kept it for recording, but for live the Sad is more for me.

Now you just have to decide on Strings, and Pickups! ;) :D ;)
  3. well I think I've settled down with Lindy Fralins. They are awesome. Took me a while to appreciate them as well, but they are just great!
    Strings will be an on-going GAS. I do like XL's alot though. But still want to try many more.

How much do you boost? What "o'clock" ?
  4. Everyone who does have and use the Sadowsky, quick question. How much do you boost? like... what "o'clock" do you boost at? Just curious to see how you guys use it.

5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Glad to hear it! Best of luck...
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure exactly where I boost to. But, it's pretty much just a fraction. Probably close to 1/8 to 1/4. Can't tell you what o'clock, as it's packed away in my pedalboard, under 4 other cases. But, I set it to zero, then turn less than a 1/4 of a circle. If I picture it in my head, I would guess 8 or 9 o'clock.

I don't boost the hi's at all. My Elrick has enough hi's on it's own. XL's are great, and affordable also. I'm dying to try Labella Nickel strings. Sadowsky strings are great, but they don't make a 6 string set. Lots of mids.

You should still try a serial/parallel switch also. If you don't like it, keep it parallel. But the option will still be there for you.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm just finally glad we got there ;)
    congrats on finding your sound
  8. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    say thanks to uncie xan too -

(from one of your earlier threads)

hehe its all good mate. enjoy belting out that new tone.
  9. Hey, thanks to you too! Thanks to all for their effort. Its amazing that a community of musicians come together like this to help eachother out and share opinions/experiences. No other musician does this except for the modern bassist, hands down.

I do recall that thread, and I do remember you posting that. Thanks for the heads up, but I guess it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. (At least I didn't think it was, but little did I know)

I just know when I post something, DavidmWilson will arrive on the scene shore shortly.

thanks though Xan! You helped me out as well.