I finally got a Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corinpills, Dec 6, 2004.

1. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I've wanted one for years, have often borrowed one for recording, always assumed I'd get one someday as a big reward for myself for something.

I mean, I'm happy with my Guild Starfire and I've got a great Jazz bass, so I wasn't really seriously in the market, BUT when one runs across a late 60's Hofner Violin bass for...wait for it.... $400, one must make a move. Yeah, it needs a neck re-set (they all do eventually) and it's got the less desirable blade pickups rather than the staple pickups (they sound pretty friggin' close to me- anybody know anything about them?), but it's in pretty good shape and has the original case. I used it on a session the other night and it sounded just perfect.
  2. picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    sounds cool, got any pictures?
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Congrats on the purchase. It's only a matter of time for me to finally get mine, although the latest Tears for Fears record has actually got me interested in the Hofner Club Bass as well.

I have a Beatle Bass copy with Pyramid strings on it that I really like for what it is, but you always yearn for the real thing :D
  4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    400 bucks???????????????
    Even with the issues....you need to go get a lottery ticket!
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    agreed...you stole that!

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

Do you have someone to do the neck reset? If not, I'd highly recommend Michael Dolan in Santa Rosa, CA. He's done several for me over the years.

7. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I hear that! What a gorgeous album. I saw them in NYC and was all cranked up to hear the Hofner live, but thy had it really low in the mix. It looked like he was playing well from the 30th row, but I couldn't really hear it.

There's an unbelievable Hofner President on eBay right now witha very serious price tag.

Yeah, pictures. Good idea. Let's see if I can put that together.
  8. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got an old one too, s/n: 937, that had it neck come off twice. They do that. I had them add some dowells on the second repair and that fixed it. Get someone good to do it. I paid $129 for mine new, and I'm stunned at what they are going for now. It is a unique bass with a tone all its own. I'm keeping mine with all of its battle scars and all.
  9. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  10. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    oh man, you're left handed? Well, you had to then, didn't you? I have a friend, Martin who used to be in a Liverpool band called the Boo Radleys. His twin brother is left handed and played bass when they were kids. I keep telling him he missed his fortune by becoming a pop star, should have started a Beatles tribute band.

My band actually played at the Cavern not too long ago. It was pretty great. I wrote all about it in my tour diaries at www.pillsrock.com
  11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    I like the "Sharkfin" or blade magnet pickups better than the staple pole pickups as they allow for some string bending without loss of output. Not that you're gonna play a Hofner ala Billy Sheehan or anything but it's nice to have an even response if you do any string bending at all.
  12. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. So, what's the dilly with these pickups? Does anybody know why they chnaged them just for a few years. I was going to put some staple pickups in it, but they really do sound the same to these ears.

Another question for the Hofner cogniscetti: why are reissue tuners $110? Do they do something magical that i don't know about?
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000