Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally got an audition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, May 12, 2002.

1. Woohoo!

A local band is looking for a new bassplayer. I called up their drummer and they have a practise tonight and I can show up there for an audition. He said they play rock, from sort of mellow songs to rock out kind of stuff. Which suits me just fine. They're going to get some gigs this summer and are looking for a dedicated bassist, which is perfect for me.

I have a real good feeling about this, me and the drummer got along great on the phone and even though it's just an audition I think I have a pretty good chance of making it.

Wish me luck. :)

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good Luck man! :) Let us know how it goes!

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Good luck Gunnar!

Let us know ASAP :)

4. Good luck!:)

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Good luck man!

6. Well that was... interesting.

The guy I spoke to on the phone was always kind of hesitant to tell me what kind of music they played. He just said it was kind of upbeat and left it at that.

So around 8pm last night these two guys come to pick me up. Both were metal steriotypes from hell. And both were like 22 (I'm 16). I just go "All right, I'm sure this'll be fine".

Then we arrive at their place and I start setting up. I finish that and they just launch into a song. I was supposed to try to follow one of the guitars for the first one, so I... tried. Turns out they play early Metallica like speed metal, and not rock kind of stuff as I'd been told. They were doing 16th note riffs at 150bpm and I was supposed to follow them. :eek:

I stayed for the entire practise and then told them that this wasn't the kind of music I enjoy so they'd better look for another bassist. Well, at least they were cool about that.

So what did we learn here? Always drag it out of them what kind of music they play. :D

At least I can be happy about that I'm finally a supporting member. :)

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ouch..

At least they didn´t want you to play FiEldY sTyLe. :D

Better luck next time!

8. Chalk it up to experience and drive on.:cool:

9. yes, and that makes you the fourth supporting icelander! :D

I think iceland has definitely the most amount of supporters according to size of the country... :D

better luck next time!

10. Hmm... you're right. There are four Icelanders on this forum. I'd say that's alot. When I first came here I was suprised that there was one of us, let alone four.

sapo: Yup. Not much else there is to do. Except for hoping for better luck next time. I swear that sometimes I think I have to start my own band... wait a second... now there's a thought.

:)