Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally got me a real Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Yep.Made payment for a curbow pettie 5 with a wenge top on mahogany body. I had a cort curbow and Love it doubt it will be anything close to this. I always loved the way they looked and sound and its been the boutique company ive been into the longest and will also be my first bass like that, Any opinions on Greg Curbows basses not the cort ones.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  3. That bass is very much like the first Curbow I owned (which I reviewed at BGRA way back when: http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=87&type=bass ). I'll be up to number six when my custom Curbow 6-string is done, so I guess that tells you how much I liked that first one! The oil-finished wenge/mahogany combo sounds awsome on a Curbow--that was the sound I had in my head when planning this 6 with Greg--though I found the thin body on the flat-topped models to be a little uncomfortable. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Mike

4. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Here is a picture of the bass. Lamarjonz hooked me up with another good deal again. I actually read your review mike before I bought the bass on bgra and it helped me go and buy the bass.I must coment that your buckeye burl curbow( I think its yours) is quiet stunning. What is the tone on that like?

EDIT: pics to large. the bass can be veiwed at www.lamarjonz.com/Bass

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Note: Capitalize "Bass" as the directory name in the above link, with a small "b" it doesn't work.

6. The buckeye one is mine, yes--I got it from berklee46 a little while back. It's an amazing looking bass, for sure. Between the hard finish and the Basslines pickups, it's a bit brighter and more brash than any of the other Curbows I've had, even the all-Rockwood one (which was actually very smooth sounding). It's more of a hi-fi kinda tone rather than the Warwick-meets-composites growl that the Barts with a darker oil-finished body give, but that's cool. The pickups are from Lakland, and I really like the J/MM pickup arrangement with the coil switching--I use the MM pickup soloed a lot more than I expected to.

Mike

7. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Bass to arive today(Thursday) Ill have a review of it when i get it and some pics.So when I wake up I should have a curbow at my door.What a great way to start the day.

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    quick reveiw. 5 string curbow international petie 5 strings. wenge top,I think mahogany body rockwood neck. First off this is the fastest neck i ever played. Period. And its on 5 string.slick as anything I ever felt with action as low as graphite. here is and exerpt off greg curbows page about rockwood in necks

"Like the name says Rockwood is, in fact, wood. Rockwood is a man made material which starts with thin layers of premium void free Finish Birch hardwood. The Birch veneers are saturated with Phenolic based resin, layered, pressed with more than 2000 lbs per square inch and baked at 450 degrees. Dyes in the Phenolic even allow the material to be colored. This amazing material has the lively sonic qualities and soul of the wood on which it is based and the superb structural qualities of composites. Rockwood is unaffected by changes in temperature and humidity and it never becomes sticky or tacky"

The body is light and very thin espicaly on end were it almost comes to a point and digs in your arm making it sorta uncomfortable. Though this bass is light its has loads of tone to it. The tones on this bass are not bad tones at all. So far all of them are useable and quite a versatile bass but to me personaly its not the soud im looking for. Im debating on keeping it or not. Again its a GREAT bass Greg Curbow Is deffinatly one of the best out their but its the same reason people go through sadowskys, mtds, foderas and other great basses just cause its not what they need dosent make it anyless great.

9. You've hit on the big strength of Curbows--the neck. Greg's Rockwood necks are absolutely my favorite, and they're what have kept me coming back to Curbows.

The sharp body edge was definately something I noticed, as well, and what eventually made me sell my first one. If you ever get a chance to tray a carved-top model, it's much more comfortable, though the Petite body design is still not as comfortable as some other instruments I've owned. I'm kinda curious how the deeper, wider body on my semi-hollow 6 will feel in comparison.

As for the tone, I can't say whether you'll be able to get what you're looking for out of it. Have you figured out the EQ yet? The knob placement is kinda weird, and that sometimes throws people.

Mike