Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally got to hear my Sadowsky.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    .....through a major PA system.

For the first time since I got my PJ5 I was able to stand out by the FOH board and listen while another bass player sat in with my band and played the Sad.

In all honesty, I can't recall ever hearing another bass sound better. Anywhere,anytime. The sound out front was nothing short of astounding.

If you're one of those people (like I used to be) that think Sadowsky is over priced, I would respectfully suggest...you are out of your mind. You can't put a price on the tone like that.

Well done MISTER Sadowsky

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    what a great way to audition your own gear.

i can't wait to get back into my band sitch to pull out my new Sadowskys (and Zon fretless 519).

we knew the truth anyway, huh? but, its nice to hear it out front!

f

3. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiousity, what were you using to send the bass to the board?

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Couldn't agree more. We play 150 shows a year. I don't even use an amp!! I run my bass active through my Sadowsky Di pedal. This lets me control the bass and treble on the bass instead of the pedal. After my effects, it goes straight into the board! NO amp. We use in ear monitors. Everyone always tells me what a great rig I have. I just laugh. I have no rig!!!!!

Rob

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A ten dollar patch cord. :D

Running active with just a hair's worth of trebel boost and the blend just out of the notch toward the bridge pickup.

That's what really impressed me. That bass wasn't getting any help from anything. Not even it's own preamp. It was all wood and Roger.

It was an opening slot for Foghat and all their stuff was onstage. When I showed up the stage crew was just starting to struggle with getting the backline bass rig onstage and I told them not to worry about it, I'll just go direct and take the backwash off the mains.

Roger and my crummy patch cord just spanked the living dookie out of Foghats rig. Which consisted of two SVT cabinets, two GK 800RB's and a Spector 5.

6. Nice! I was wondering if your signal had any help: external preamp, compression, etc.

I did a radio show a couple of weeks ago with my Tokyo Sad and a SansAmp Bass Driver DI to the board. The SansAmp was a straight DI - no tube emulation - and my bass has never sounded better.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a tokyo too and i have never heard a better jazz bass, isint that bass boost something.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm about 30 days away from hopping on a Silver Eagle tour bus with a new artist on Broken Bow Records. Bassed on this weeks experiences, I don't think I'm even going to carry a bass rig on the bus.

THAT'S how impressed I was. No more equipment worries. No more sound worries.

Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, free at last!

9. The Tokyo preamp is great. I keep both active controls at about 12 o'clock: a little bass boost and a little treble cut.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hence the reason why i went with an Avalon U5 / Acme B-4 setup. :bassist: :cool:

11. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    I want to place an order for Roger's pickups and preamp. For those of you who have experience with Roger's pickups, which options is better?

- Humcancelling J/J for 5-string (Pair) $230.00
    - Single Coil J/J for 5-string (Pair) $200.00

Thanks.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I personaly really like the humcancelling, properly sheilded you can crank up the tone and treble and not hum, great stuff.

13. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'd recommend the hum cancelling but I'd call Roger and get his opinion. All depends on you and your gigs

Rob

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you plan on doing any work with any kind of sound engineer be it live or studio, get the hum cancelling. They all seem to have an obsession with noise in the bass track. If they hear anything they don't like what-so ever, they'll put the screws to your top end and you'll be in mud city.

15. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks for sharing your opinion

16. Agreed.
    Hum cancelling: Roger's pups sound great and the lack of 60Hz hum is blessing. I

17. Rob,

So you're effectively running two Sadowsky preamps in series?

The floor preamp is used to send a balanced DI to the board as opposed to an unbalanced signal straight from the Sadowsky bass?

18. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

From what i understand, I'm using the Di pedal as a direct box only. I use the pre in the bass. When i use a bass w/o one of Roger's pre's, I run it passive and turn on the Di pedal's pre section. I then run the volume on the pedal at 10 and adjust the bass and treble to my liking, just like on a Sadowsky bass. Yes????????????

Rob

19. If the PA is good that seems like a great way to go!

20. What if the PA isn't so good? Is that why so many bass players use large/powerful rigs?