1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I finally have a favorite bassline

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've listened to Jethro Tull's "Benefit" album and always liked the song "Inside," but it wasn't until last night that I realized that it has an amazing bass line. It carries the whole song, and it totally sings with Ian Anderson, it's like another vocal line, but very rhythmic.

I recommend hearing a hi fi version to get a feel for the bassline, but here's this:

Kudos to Glenn Cornick for some amazing playing.

I've never thought of a bassline as being my favorite, but this is it for me right now. It's not flashy, it just fits everything so perfect.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Indeed, that is a great song carried by a fantastic bassline.

Very well-played, direct and to the point. Glenn's tone is perfect for the song, too. Extremely full -- occupies a LOT of sonic space.

I can't immediately recall if this tune has the same sort of trick as on "Cross-Eyed Mary", with the piano left-hand doubling the bass to killer effect.

Benefit is definitely in my top 5 Tull records. I think Stand Up comes out only slightly ahead.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    So true!! :)