i finally played a Rick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 11, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    today while visiting my teacher who was out on a gig i was stuck waiting for some time at his store,i was noodling around on somebasses and came across a older Rick. it was recentely set up and had new strings so i decided to give it a day in court. even though i dis-like the over-all look of the bass(the truth is i hate the way they look :spit: )the sound is really quite nice in a different kind of way. i was judging a book by its cover and not giving the bass a chance to speak for it-self,and i kinda feel a little stupid now that the bass is better than i could of imagine.i guess i should of known better seeing how many excellent bassists play a Rick,that should of been a green light for me to check one out(even though no stores in my area even sell them):D
  2. My first great bass was a RIC.
    I sold it an bought it back 6 years later, lucky me.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You have seen the light, I own an older mid 70's black Rick with a white pick guard, not sure the exact year or model but it rocks. It is so easy to play and the sound is awesome especially if your into the older rock. I think Geezer played a Rick, War Pigs sounds good on a Fender but it on the Rick it's takes it to a whole other level! I own other basses but my Rick is the workhorse. I recommed picking one up you won't regret it, you will almost always get your money back out of Rick. I have had so many offers to sell mine but I won't even consider it.
  4. I love ricks!

I bet you couldn't tell!

mine is, a 1974, rickenbacker 4001, black with white P-guard, and an EMG preamp, but I think I'm going to change it back to passive.
    It rocks!

5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I have owned a 1974 Rick 4001 for 26 years, and I still swear by that bass, you will never catch me trading it in.

I did an open blues jam a while back, and the other bass players were using a brand new Warwick Streamer(?) and a Carvin respectively. We were going through the same GK rig, and I have got to tell you, my old warhorse just blew the doors off both the Warwick, and the Carvin. I had a hard time getting off the stage long enough to use the head.

The sound of the 4001 basses is just tremendous, and the neck just makes you want to play. My biggest problem when I play my Rick is restraining myself. The typical complaint that I get (if any) is "gee man, aren't you a bit loud?" Ricks rule Bro'!
  6. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Would you like to know? I'll point the way:

Let us know what you find out!
  7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I've owned a V63 in natural for about 20 years. I've also owned several 4001's and I have to say that although their shape isn't for everyone, everyone should own a Ric. I happen to adore the shape....and that of MOST of their guitars as well. Why?? Because it's not another COPY of a Gibson or a Fender. One thing that you have to give Rickenbacker, they're unique in MANY aspects and deserve their place in R&R history.

IMHO, if they ever manage to get their marketing act together, they could be a serious contender in the business.

My one complaint. I've owned three of their 12 strings STRICTLY because I think that they are THE coolest looking instrument ever made. But, try as I might, even with my tiny hands I was unable to play them or to keep them in tune. :(

Bass-ically Yours,

8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    while i was impressed on the over-all sound of the bass i still cant get past the look i hate so very much,i just cant get past it. though the sound was full and bright it was'nt enuff to get me to drop my fenders and cross over to the Ric side.this model was a 1994 4001 series(i believe thats the standard Ric model no?)the asking price was 750.00$,there is no way in hell or on god's green earth that i will pay 750.00$ for a used bass period.maybe i would pay that for some bass owned by J.P.Jones but thats about it. I would have to be a famous bassist for me to spend that kind of money on a bass,thats why i stick with good ol' fender Japan. but a Ric gets my thumbs up, but not my wallets seal of approvel:bassist: thanks guys:D
  9. Having played one only very briefly and also about 20 years ago so I can't really contribute to this topic, what is actually true about the following things which I've heard more than once about the 4001 model, even from owners:

1.) The instrument detunes very easily when exposed to heat, for example on a stage with many lights.

2.) The bass lacks really low frequencies and needs support from the amp in that respect (there are people who claim this can be improved by tightening the contact between pick-ups and body).

3.) The instrument becomes very difficult to play the sweatier the player's hands get as the rosewood fretboard is lacquered.

All this in comparison to other popular basses, of course.

So...? @ all you Rick players
  10. I've owned a couple of Rics in my time. They were late '60s through early '70s models, 4001 style, with Ric-o-sound (stereo). I loved the tone, but they did not fare well in our climate. We get it all here, from freezing cold winters through muggy, humid Pennsylvania-style heat in the summer. The local setup "experts" were constantly fighting to keep their necks from developing the dreaded propellor-warp. Unfortunately I had to let them go due to the constant adjustment they seemed to require.
  11. Volker: Hogwash.
    1.False. My old '78 stays in tune no matter what.
    2. True but what does that 2nd sentence mean?
    3. False.
  12. Mines a 4003, all black (some road scars). I've had mine for about 10 years and would never think of getting rid of it. It's adurable little bass with a great sound, and you get use to the look and the Lemmy jokes after a while.

I sweat bucket loads when I play and never had any grip problems with the Rick.

Never noticed any tuning issues regardless of conditions.
  13. Edited due to disrespectful content.
  14. DeLorean man, don't you kinda think that's a bit rude? I mean he was just stating what he heard, not like he said all that stuff or said he hates them. Just settle down man, their stating their opinions/what they heard and its not the end of the world. Lets settle down there my bass playin brotha, peace ~ Tyler
  15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It kinda amazes me that no other manufacturer has ever tried (to my knowledge) to make an "updated" Rick, in as much as it would use similar sounding pickups with similar placement, similar neck shape, etc but in a more modern package (I'm not counting Rick's own attempts at this with the Cheyenne, Laredo, etc). The Rick has one of the most distinctive signature instrument tones out there, and it surprises me that it isn't up there with the J, P and MM tones desired by most bassists.

Anyone know any custom builders who would build something in a Rick-type configuration?

Russ :bassist:
  16. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, my '76 4001 is definitely my favorite bass out of all the ones I've ever owned. I paid about $800 for it last year, so geezer316 might want to hold out for one more vintage than '94.

I have had a bit of trouble with the neck, but in general it's been fine - no tuning problems whatsoever. The pickups are kind of low gain, but an outboard preamp (I've got a Fodera Model 2000) solves that. I love the sound of the vintage pickups - I put in some Duncans briefly and had my buddy switch them out within a week.

One thing to be careful with (or so I've heard) - the vintage ones had a dual trussrod, and some owners turned them too much and broke them, so if you do find an older one, make sure the truss rods are OK! I'm still not brave enough to mess with the truss rods in mine...

The look - of course, that's personal preference. You might learn to like it though - put up posters of Lemmy, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Roger Glover, Rick James, and Paul McCartney for a week while cranking their albums, then see what you think!!!
  17. I reread what I wrote, I don't think it was inappropriate. I find it interesting that you are calling my response rude, yet another that called his post male bovine fecal matter directly is OK with you. I judged him a troll, rather than the less flattering options available for someone who starts off saying they are ignorant of the subject and yet continues to spout off nonsense on the subject. The 'opinion' defense isn't carte blanche to spew low grade fertilizer unchallenged.
  18. Wow. that would be one big wall of ugly:D

(the bassists not the bass, of course.)

I love the Rick design. My only real problem was that the pick up cover is right where I usually pluck. Other than that, I find it quite comfortable.
  19. That's exactly right!! Thanks very much for that, NewBassPlayer66!:)

How could I possibly hate Rickies with Geddy Lee being one of my fave players?
    I simply love his sound and his playing on Rush's album "Exit...Stage Left"!

*sighs* Seems to me some people don't have the ability to read properly!?!:rolleyes:
  20. I reckon the Vigier "Arpege" model's design has a bit of the 4001's in it (similar body- and headstock shape)
    @ XO - Bionic