1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally played an Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n1as, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Was at GC for other reasons and noticed they had one. I had to play it.

I have three basses. Two of them are 32" scale so I'm very familiar with that neighborhood. All of my basses were built to be light weight.

First impression of the Mezzo was it is heavy. I would estimate something over 8 lbs. My 32" P bass weighs 7 lbs and my 32" J bass is just barely over 8 lbs so I'm used to pretty light. The Mezzo felt heavier than either but it is probably lighter than most basses.

The sound was bright and clear. I liked it. Fret ends didn't bug me. Playability was good. I noticed a minor dead spot a the 7th fret G string. Proof that even 32" scale is not a guarantee of no dead spots.

I played some with the EQ. The only noteworthy thing was that the treble sounded artificial if cranked all the way. But that is not how I'd be using it so it didn't bother me.

Overall I thought it was pretty good for $300. If I didn't already have my dream team, I'd be seriously considering one (plus perhaps a pickup upgrade). As it is, my current trio of basses is so good that I'm all but GAS-free.

nonohmic likes this.
  2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    Interesting that you say it's heavy. I know that there is variance in woods between instruments but I weigh mine on the bathroom scale with strap on and get 7.2 pounds. My Urge Standard (with strap) 8.6 pounds.

I would say that it definitely needs different strings than the stock ones they used. I put on a new set of D'addario EXL220M (same as on my Urge standard) and sounds better than when I first got it.

But you did like it, so I guess that's a good review.