Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally realized why the White Stripes don't have a bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 25, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know that it was a bit of a controversey here. I really don't care either way. I never really paid attention to them because their music doesn't interest me much. I have been catching them on Conan this week though and I've finally realized why they don't have a bassist, it's pretty simple actually: Because how could any bassist play with such a lousy drummer!!! I understand that for a drummer to be solid, he doesn't have to be fancy, (look at Cliff Williams) but the one absolute requirement for any drummer is to have timing. She doesn't even have that. I couldn't help but laugh the other night when she was trying to do one of her patented fills (banging two toms simulataneously) that she couldn't even play half way on beat. I'm never one to sit and just bash musicians but she's a insult to the art of playing percussion. There's no way as a bassist I would ever be able to follow her. I think Stanley Clarke would sound like crap if he tried to play with her.

Sorry to any WS fans, but I just can't get over that such a crapola drummer is making so much money.

2. i know what you mean... she takes alot of critisism for her playing abilities... nonetheless... i still enjoy listening to white stripes... not one of my favorite bands but their new song seven nation army is pretty catchy, although i don't know why jack white just didn't get a bass player to play the bass line instead of just using an octave pedal... oh well its his song so i guess he can do whatever he wants..

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

They seem O.K. The White Stripes that is, but they don't do it for me.

I grew up listening to the Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, MC5, and Stooges. The WS's have their own audience, but hearing the old punks makes me want to drink beer and rock out!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I accidentally caught last night's show, had the surround sound going at the time... they do tend to fill up the sonic spectrum pretty well. The bass drum was definitely occupying the rumble zone, and his dual amp setup crunched pretty thick sometimes, but DANG! I gots ta concur with the original poster here- the drumming! Yikes! Oy!

Not pretty. I was in pain. It's kinda messy.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Haha!!! You're the greatest, Mark! :)

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    LoL, she really does leave something to be desired. But, in the end it makes me feel good. If they can make it big.............ANY OF US CAN!!!! lol, j/k.. im sure everyone here is a pro anyways.

7. Yeah,everyone except me.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I try not to notice it, and try to just enjoy the music, even though it seems quite awkward at times.

I'm thinkin the whole idea is to NOT keep perfect timing and to just have the drummer be the percussion section, not the rhythm section.

That dude should get a doubleneck bass/guitar or something, just to add a bit more balance to it all. rhythm or not, they still could use some low end, since that geetarr doesn't provide quite enough balls.

9. You don't know bad drummer until you've played with my former drummer...HAHAHAHA...Boy, I'm going to enjoy slamming him in every drummer thread until the day I give up bass.

But back to the thread at hand, you kinda got to straddle the fence eh? I've downloaded a bunch of White Stripes clips and they were tight. She might not be the best drummer in the world but she's playing what she wants and enjoying it. Isn't that the whole point of music? If you met her in person, would you tell her she sucked? I get giddy whenever I meet someone who is passionate about music. (My last drummer was NOT passionate about music.)

Music is fun. I found a good bass teacher. I bought new glasses. I'm going to get my hair cut. I'm happy.

10. were they live or studio clips?
    remember, Protools gets used a lot to correct lousy drum timing. The White Stripes might claim they only use 1950's or whatever steam-powered mojo-steeped antiquated recording equipment but you never know.....

before I started bass I tried drums for a couple of months, and about 2 years ago I thought of trying drums again and had a go on the drummer's kit during a rehearsal, and was shocked by what a sloppy racket I was making. I decided I couldn't face going through stages of hearing that before reaching a decent level of proficiency.

then I heard the White Stripes- it shocks me that Meg White can get away with drumming so badly.

honestly, I think any of us could get up and play drums with the white stripes tomorrow and sound the same as if not better than Meg White.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I don't want to disrespect the girl, and I'm glad she's finding success with what she's doing, but I guess that old 'tennis-shoes in the dryer' sounds just doesn't work for me.

Are they siblings or spouses? I'm confused on that one...

12. They're siblings.

And it didn't look like she was wearing a bra on Friday night's show. ;) :D

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Hmm. I saw some how that dug up their marriage certificate. So, I think they're married. But maybe it was forged, just to make us care about them.

They're really white. Pun intended, I guess, but seriously, on last night's Conan they were serving slop to diners in the Late Night cafeteria, and, boy are they white. And I'm very pale, so I'm qualified to say that. Must be a ton of makeup.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I wouldn't tell her she sucked, but I would tell her that she needs to really, really work on her timing. If I play something out of time or just doesn't seem to work on bass but I'm not hearing it, I would like it if another musician told me so I could correct it.

15. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    they'll cave eventually and get some bass on their album.....either that or explode dramatically and we'll never hear of them again.
    see what happens when you neglect bass? ...that's right, he makes you pay.

....hmmm, i'll give ye 30 cents and a used banana.

16. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    they are divorced, but she kept his name. Or so the story goes...

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My understanding is that they are divorced too.
    I really like 'em. Their latest album, IMHO, is their best to date. She definetly doesn't do anything fancy, but she keeps a beat ok.

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, but that's kind of the point of this thread, I thought. That she actually can't keep a beat. Sounded like she actually flipped it on one of the Conan show appearances, but somehow got back on the beat. To me, keeping the beat means keeping time smoothly, and I don't perceive that to be the case here.

I'd really like to see her go head-to-head with the drummer for the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players. At least that little girl sings while she's wackin' away...

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    drum lesson hilarity!

check out this Real Audio clip of 9-year-old Rachel Trachtenburg giving a drum lesson.

Gotta love it!

20. She may not be the 'best' drummer going but it works for their music.

Imagine Terry Bozio Playing drums in this band. Now that would suck.