Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally tried a Bongo today and...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oxblood, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...im beating myself up for it! I was just blown away by this thing, just like I thought I would be! This was also a first for many other things. The first time I have tried a EBMM and the first time I have been to a Guitar Center (it was the one in Flint, Michigan if anyone is familiar with it). Let me just talk a little about all of these experiences.

First off... the Bongo! Only way I can describe it is "WOOOOOOW". I was just in love with the slap tone and how I could get so many different sounds out of this monster. This really is one fine bass and I couldn't believe I was playing one. I have wanted to try one of these for so long and all the comments about them that I have read on here are absolutly right. The reason I am now beating myself up for it? The price! I just can't afford one at this moment and time. :bawl:

Next, I just wanna talk about EBMM's. While the Bongo sounded amazing, the two MM's just got in my way, I mean these pickups are just huge! This was actually one of the only things I disliked about this bass. It got in the way of when I was slappin' and pluckin' away. But I would think the single MM version would suite me just fine. Other than that it looks like EBMM makes outstanding basses... the quality, feel, sound and looks of this bass make me really consider a cheaper EBMM, perhaps a Sterling.

Finally I just would like to speak about Guitar Center. This was my first visit there, and probably won't be my last. The action on the Bongo I jammed on was incredibly high, and it wasn't in tune at all, but they have an amazing selection there, and very good customer service aswell. Everything was much better than the 2 small music shops I have been to in the past. It was 5 minutes to closing and a guy that worked there actually got out a ladder and pulled down the Bongo that was at the very top, and then let me play for quite a long time.

Just wanted to tell ya'll how my trip to GC was and how much im gassin' for a new Bongo now! :hyper:

I actually think this is my longest post yet on here lol

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have to tell you, I had the same experience the other day. I played a bongo for the first time and I was floored. It was very nice, easy to play, and i forgot it was so darn ugly when I was playing it. I agree, the 24 frets and the dual hummbuckers make it difficult to slap. If I could get over the looks and have the extra scratch, I'd pick one up.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The looks of them have actually grown on me to the point where I just love the looks of them. The one I played was, if I can remember right, Carbon Blue with a Dark Blue Pearl pg, two mm's, and a 4 string.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    "makes me consider a cheaper MM, perhaps a sterling"

A sterling actually isnt any cheaper than a bongo. Places might have them marked a little lower because they arent as new as Bongos, but check out the new prices and you will see that sterlings cost the same.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All this Bongo talk is getting to me! If you are in SW Illinois and you hear a loud smack, that will be my wife's dough roller going upside my head for buying a Bongo SC/H five string.

6. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Ah sorry about this! What I meant to say was the S.U.B. Those are the ones that are a little more in my price range right now. Although I suppose I could wait till a good deal on a used Bongo comes up.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm lovin' mine.

Walked in to a GC at the right time, walked out 45 minutes later with my brand new Bongo, $800, including OHSC.

[​IMG]

The tone absolutely kills me. It's just so MASSIVE. I'm beginning to really like the way it looks, too.

I A/B'ed it with a Stingray 5, which was very nice, but they didn't have the same deal on it, and to be honest, I liked the tone and feel of the Bongo better. :bag:

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You think the Single H would be a good idea huh?
    Then something like this might get you going...
    [​IMG]
    Please excuse the plastic still on the guard
    Or maybe something a little more fretless...
    [​IMG]

And yes, they are both mine, well the red one will be mine next Thursday.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Maybe if the pickguard was clear. I dunno heheh. I guess I don't have to look at it while I am playing it.

10. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Alright Bartman, from one Oregonian to another you are going to have to cut out the reference to the outrageous price you paid.<g>

By the way, do you have a good bass tech in PDX that you recommend? OBTW, I missed that left handed Wall on Ebay that you posted about. I must have been asleep at the switch when that went through.

David in Ashland

11. I love that one! Super hot.

I nearly bought a Bongo 5, HH in Stealth black. It was just too dear at the time, so I bought an SR5. Amazing basses, amazing tone. They're awesome!
    Bongo Bongo Bongo!

12. I reckon the Desert Gold Bongo's look stunning without a pickguard. I saw a photo of Dave LaRue playing one minus the pickguard, it looked awesome.

13. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Mmmmmm, a fretless Bongo. I would just love to get my hands on one of them too. How's the H compare to the HH, Small?

14. I just got finished putting the new StingRay HH, HS and the Bongo through their respective paces and while I agree that the Bongo has some clearance issues when popping, the new StingRay HH doesn't! Totally comfortable!

Peace!

15. BartmanPDX

David, I went by the GC in Clackamas on Tuesday, and they still had the twin of my new Bongo, green tagged (?), and priced at around $950. You might be able to call them up, and arrange something . . .

No sales tax here!

Oops. I missed that you were left handed. As for a bass tech, I found a local luthier who worked on my Ric, but mostly he builds his own line of guitars and doesn't like to do repair work. He fixed my Ric as a special favor because he used to work for Rickenbacker, and my Ric is pretty old.

My Steinie has never needed maintenance, and the rest of my basses are pretty new and haven't developed issues (yet).

16. BartmanPDX

Those single H Bongos give me gas something fierce. I'm terrified of playing a fretless one for fear of how much I'd want it. :p

17. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I have this terrible left hand affliction going on.<g> I do some things lefty and some righty and some with either hand, like painting. Bass playing is definitely left handed for me. I wish it weren't so. If it wasn't I would have begun my bass career about 30 years ago. Otherwise, a weekend trip up I-5 (without snow let's hope) would have been great.

David

18. BartmanPDX

I edited my post once I realized you were left handed. :bag: I doubt those go on sale, but you might be able to get some idea on the tone by plugging one in at a store . . . :meh:

19. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh man, what a deal. The GC here wanted $1,300! I most likely would have been able to talk them down considering the guy told me himself that it hadn't been played in a long time, but still.

20. You guys are lucky you're not in Australia, Bongo's go for around $3200 AUD.

That's about $2400 US.

It is so unfair.