1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I find myself saving for a bass amp... any sugestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom once dead, Mar 8, 2008.

1. as you can see i am in desparate need of a new amp not sure what to get. i want a tone a bit like Trivium, Shadows Fall

2. How much are you willing to spend . . .

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Suggestions:

Don't spend any of the saved money, it takes longer that way.:):bassist:

4. I'm doing the same thing. I am going to go from the ground up. Starting with an Avatar SB112. Looks like I'll be ordering in about a week. My "guitar jar" as I call it is almost to what I need for the cab. Then I'll go to the Markbass LM 250.

5. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    What is your need? How much do you want to spend? What are your likes?

I am doing the same. I need small, portable, combo, a good bit of power, extension cab able, tube tone (a want not a need). Money not really an issue, just take a bit longer to save if the price is more. So there for the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T is what I am going for.

6. I want to spend less than $2000 AU, bear in mind prices are much different over here, look at some australian websites (bass centre). I play metal, and want a sound like Paolo from trivium

7. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    You need a sansamp for sure imho. Either the RBI, RPM or the Landmark series head.. or even the just the bass driver di pedal.

Then either put that through a good poweramp or drive your head with it.. which sounds really good. I believe the guy from trivium does this and also i think the shadows fall guy uses the landmark series head!

As for a head... ampeg/ashdown or gallien krueger... you mighhhhh even need the sansamp with gk head. For a good reference of metal tone with gk check out aveneged sevenfold.

In terms of cabs 8X10 usually help with that metal tone. I dont think you should go after some boutique 3 speaker cab imo.

8. I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH TO SPEND I really must stress that, Out of your sugestions I could only afford Mag series ashdown. dont really want to have to transport am 8x10. I'm still at school and just need an In between amp.

9. In all honesty just keep saving and get something that doesnt have to be an inbetween amp. (its a bit of a false economy).

Also, If I had the option and funding for the Mag series, i'd go with a Peavey instead (but thats just me)

10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The only combos I've played through over the years that have had consistently good tone have been Peavey.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I will give a counter-opinion - instead of the Peavey, I would go with a Mag 300. That's what I have, and the tone is very good. I had a Peavey with 160W, and the tone sucked...

12. DCShadow

DCShadow

Mar 19, 2008
    Markbass Little Mark II..........powerful, great tone, light as a feather, amazing little amp with a huge sound. Team it up with one of the Markbass Speaker cabs, and you will have a more than superior system in your price range.

dc

13. thanks for all the input but you have to check out australian prices. http://www.basscentre.com.au/ this is an australian site, so you can see how much more expesive things are over hear

14. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    the suggestion for the sansamp is good.

i googled the shadow fall bassist and bassplayer mag reported that he used this:

Ibanez SRX with EMG pickups
    DR Strings (.045–.105)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI preamp/DI
    Tech 21 Landmark 600 head
    2 Tech 21 4x10 cabs
    Ampeg SVT-3PRO
    Ampeg 8x10
    In tune picks (.73)

as for my advice to a young bassist, don't get anything that you can't move around... 8x10's are big. start w/ a 4x10 or 2x12 cab and you can always add another one later.

based on the info you gave, for your head i'd suggest an ampeg svt of some sort (2,3,4, etc), mesa, or an ashdown like you are gassing for... any of those brands will last you.

note: i did not check aussie prices.

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Do you have to buy new? You could buy used and get better gear for the money. But if you have $2000 AUS to spend, it looks like you can get good stuff at that Bass Centre. And it looks like you could get a nice Markbass or Ashdown rig for $2000. Can't get an SVT, but that's OK ;) Even in Australian dollars, you can get some nice stuff for two grand.

16. Look used- i'm in Aus. and spent the same as you want to when i bought my first rig. It was a b2r and a no name 4 x10. God i curse the day i bought that rig...lol. But it can be done if you do your research.

What you could consider is going to melband ( a website, not sure if i'm allowed to post the url), i was speaking to a guy there who is selling a used gk 1001 for $1000. It would cost 100 bucks to get shipped, but his includes a nice rack case.
    Then buy a cab like the GK-SBX410 which will be around $1100 new. Little over $2k, but you could skimp on the cab and just get something at around the $300 mark to get you by until you can get a good quality cab. There is also a nice looking trace elliot 4 x 12 on ebay for $700.

Your other option could be a little mark 2 bass head. I picked one up for $1100 brand new. Then do the cab option with whatever you like.

Keep your eye out as well because some genz stuff comes up on ebay every now and again- they are a great option. I picked up a genz benz gbe 600 for $1200 which i'll be moving on sooner rather than later.

Of the two heads that i dont own i prefered the GK. Really nice solid state sound. The Gbe Genz range offers a tube pre and a solid state pre which also offers alot of flexibility. Do the research but they are the ones that i've played and would be considering in your price range if i were you.

17. I do also want to say that Bass Centre are great if you do decide to go the new option. Every question i've ever had of them they have answered.

18. I dont think you can get SansAmp over hear and if you can its probably way out of my price range.

I would rather spend the smallest amount, $2000 maximum, the ashdown mag rig on bass center would be really good considering the price, I am alos looing at getting this http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/kustom/groove310combo.html also check out this site for prices on other brands

19. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I am seriously digging the cab design on that Kustom combo. I would love a cab like that...3 10"s stacked vertically in a big box with lots of porting and a tweeter.

20. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    looks pretty cool! don't know much about it, but that ain't no thing.
    as for the sansamp, i was suggesting the sansamp bass driver di pedal or the para di pedal... both are about $200 state-side. i got mine used for around $150. really, i was suggesting a good driver pedal, i didn't mean "it has to be a sansamp." mxr m-80, fulltone bass driver, etc. start w/ the amp though, everything else will fall into place. good luck!