I finished building my first musical instrument today!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Today I finished building my first musical instrument.

Its a 16x14 Floor tom.
    I bought a Maple shell and put a forrest green stain on it. Then 2 coats of satin.

It sounds so nice and boomy.

Im gonna start trying this more often. Next in line, finishing a bass for a friend. ;)

2. oooh...fancy. i relaly like the colour, alot. but tahts justa chick thing. i assume it has a good sound as you said.
    i wish i had talent )_:
  3. that finish is awesome! nice work!!

Can I ask, what is the duck tape for?
    it's something I've been thinking about for a while...

I noticed in the Basket Case video, Trey's kit has tape over the skins, and when I was in a rehersla room, there was the tape again, but different patterns...

What's the deal? :meh:
  4. Cuts out the "ring" on drums during live situations. Just dampens the response of the drum head.

Good job BTW. It's fun to play your own stuff
  5. I once made a Harp out of Rubber bands and a milk box, but it isnt half as nice as that. Good job.
  6. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    That's cool! I dig the color.

in about a week I shall have pics of a non-conventional washtub bass I'm building...
  7. Cool...

Can you build me a whole drumset in that color?

Nice color!
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Thanks for the comments everyone! ;)

Yeah, well actually you can! lol

You can order Keller Maple shells from that place. Hardware as well and wrap.

If you want a stain like that, use Farrell Calhoun Tinting Base 1108. Its forrest green. =)

A basic 5 peace kit, give or take would cost 500 -600 dollars. Just depending on the shell size you use.
    My friend asked me to build him a 26 inch John Bonham style bass drum. Im gonna start making some money!

The tape, yeah its for studio drumming mostly, it deadens the "tympany" like sound coming out of the toms, Thats a very old head though soo.

Im actually adding more paint to that drum. Im gonna write out "discustipated" by tool(first part)in white..SPIRALing down the tom. It will be very different.