Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finished the restoration of my Ibanez Rickenbacker copy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It took quite some effort I tell you, but first let me recount.

I bought this Carcass of what used to be a Rickenbacker copy made by Ibanez, it had no pickups, pickguard and electronics, the only thing it did have were the elephant ear tuners and a bridge without the saddle. The original headstock plate was broken in half and only read "Iban"

So why did I buy this old junker?

First of all it was made in 1976; my brith year. Secondly it was of the extremely rare variety that had checkerboard binding, most Ibanez made Rickies came with plain white bindings. When I took it home I first put in a musicman Bass pickup and bolted a modern bridge on and played it in that condition for almost a year. Then last month I got a phonecall, a friend of mine had bought the electronics and hardware of a smashed up rick in order to replace a Jazz bass pickup that had been in the bridge position of his own rick with a genuine Rick bridge pickup. And he offered me the remainders of the electronics and hardware to restore my bass.

By amazing coincidence, my local shop discovered a discarded Rick bridge pickup so there was the opportunity to restore my Ibanez with GENUINE RICKENBACKER PARTS!

So once I had the parts together I began to work and discovered that I had to make a new pickguard since the Rickenbacker guard put the pickup at the wrong place in my bass (My Ibanez has a bolt on neck and so the neck pickup should be positioned lower than on a real Rick) but after stringing it up it prooved to be worth all the trouble, it sounds like a Rick, not like a copy but the real deal.

I instantly have Geddy moments when strapping my IbaRick on, it's just as much a genuine Rickenbacker 4001 as it is a copy and it's an awesome bass all together.

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I have them.

2. Interesting. :)
    I await pics.

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well, here it is, my Ibanez/Rickenbacker hybrid

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why don't you get a replacement bridge pickup metal border thingy?

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads, enjoy your new fix up bass. :bassist:

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That looks really cool.

Congrats on your new Rickenbanez.:)

7. BB, i think i remember you starting a thread of possibly getting a clone. Did you ever pull the trigger?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I put that project on hold for now. Bills to pay. Plus, I was just reunited with my Pedulla MVP 4 after 6 months. Nothing like living away from your gear to make it feel like it's brand new again.

When the time is right, I'll get the real thing. I'm surprised you remembered!:cool: