1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I finished the restoration of my Ibanez Rickenbacker copy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It took quite some effort I tell you, but first let me recount.

I bought this Carcass of what used to be a Rickenbacker copy made by Ibanez, it had no pickups, pickguard and electronics, the only thing it did have were the elephant ear tuners and a bridge without the saddle. The original headstock plate was broken in half and only read "Iban"

So why did I buy this old junker?

First of all it was made in 1976; my brith year. Secondly it was of the extremely rare variety that had checkerboard binding, most Ibanez made Rickies came with plain white bindings. When I took it home I first put in a musicman Bass pickup and bolted a modern bridge on and played it in that condition for almost a year. Then last month I got a phonecall, a friend of mine had bought the electronics and hardware of a smashed up rick in order to replace a Jazz bass pickup that had been in the bridge position of his own rick with a genuine Rick bridge pickup. And he offered me the remainders of the electronics and hardware to restore my bass.

By amazing coincidence, my local shop discovered a discarded Rick bridge pickup so there was the opportunity to restore my Ibanez with GENUINE RICKENBACKER PARTS!

So once I had the parts together I began to work and discovered that I had to make a new pickguard since the Rickenbacker guard put the pickup at the wrong place in my bass (My Ibanez has a bolt on neck and so the neck pickup should be positioned lower than on a real Rick) but after stringing it up it prooved to be worth all the trouble, it sounds like a Rick, not like a copy but the real deal.

I instantly have Geddy moments when strapping my IbaRick on, it's just as much a genuine Rickenbacker 4001 as it is a copy and it's an awesome bass all together.

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I have them.

2. Interesting. :)
    I await pics.

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well, here it is, my Ibanez/Rickenbacker hybrid

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why don't you get a replacement bridge pickup metal border thingy?

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads, enjoy your new fix up bass. :bassist:

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That looks really cool.

Congrats on your new Rickenbanez.:)

7. BB, i think i remember you starting a thread of possibly getting a clone. Did you ever pull the trigger?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I put that project on hold for now. Bills to pay. Plus, I was just reunited with my Pedulla MVP 4 after 6 months. Nothing like living away from your gear to make it feel like it's brand new again.

When the time is right, I'll get the real thing. I'm surprised you remembered!:cool: