Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finnaly got my RBI... First impressions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jan 9, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i typed out a big long post originaly but my internet explorer crashed. i will try and redo it in the cliffnotes version.

After tons of frustraition, phone calls, and waiting i finnaly recieved my christmas present. a sansamp RBI. Before i was running my bddi into the input jack on my peavey firebass head. i have been running the RBI into the effects loop of the firebass untill i get a poweramp to run it.

Please take into consideration that i haven't used this yet w/ my band, practice is in a few hours and that will really be the big test. I will post again w/ my thoughts after that.

My first impressions are that im having a hard time getting used to it. I guess im used to the uncolored sound of my peavey amps. First thing is that my highs sound really compressed and weird, Mostly while digging in w/ a pick or poping the high notes. Second thing is im having a hard time getting a pure clean sound. is it possible to get a good clean tone simmilar to SWR or something? What im thinking is that maybe i need some eq or pre or something else before it so i can use the blend knob and get some more useable tones.
    What effects are you RBI users combining w/ your RBI's to get more useable tones? im off to fiddle w/ it somemore before practice but i will write a followup afterwords.

Thanks alot,
    -Jason Smith

P.S. i play hardcore music mostly so that is kinda covered w/ the rbi but i want to get a tone that is useable for alot of different styles.

2. Let's see if I can help you out here since I've used the RBI/1000w poweramp setup as my gig rig for a couple years now. I guess the first thing I'd suggest is unless you are using the RBI for distortion only is to not run it through your effects loop. I'm not familiar with the Peavey Firebass but my guess is that if you are using the loop your signal is going through the Firebass preamp section and then you are running it through the RBI which is afterall, a preamp. Run the RBI into the effects return only which should be post eq on the Firebass. That way you'll only be using the power section of your head.

Well I wouldn't say that Peavey's are know for their "uncolored sound" but the RBI is designed to emulate a tube amp so getting a Hi-Fi/SWR sound is not exactly it's strong suit. It does the Ampeg tube-grit thing pretty well to a certain degree. I generally back the blend knob off to about 12 o'clock and use the tone controls sparingly since a little tweek goes a long way. Keep experimenting, the RBI has lots of great tones within.....

Cheers,

Jeff

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Along the lines of what ZoomBoy suggested, since the RBI is a preamp, plug its output into the Firebass' Power Amp Input jack instead of the FX return jack...probably a much better signal level match.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It would be really cool if Tech 21 would do a 2U preamp with an RBI on top and the Acoustic DI on the bottom. The Landmark heads sort of do this (Bass Driver instead of RBI) but it would be cool as a dedicated bass preamp.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You have a BDDI and RBI...give me one of them!

j/k.

I believe most Peavey heads have a poweramp output feature along with the effects loop. My Mark III does it least. Use that. You will bypass the Firebass EQ. If you still don't like it, then give it to me.

~Patrick