1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I forgot my fathers birthday :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Aug 20, 2012.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I feel so horrible. I've been working so hard I totally forgot my dads birthday was yesterday until I got an email today. I didn't even show up for his birthday dinner which I myself had reserved and paid for. I think I need to slow down a bit, my whole life is passing me by and I don't even notice.

2. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I feel for you as I'm in the same boat as far as working my life away.

Don't beat yourself up. Call your dad, tell him you love him and make it up to him.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes tell him and I am sure he will understand. I'm a Dad and I know I would. I forgot my Father's 78th birthday last November by a couple of days. I called right away and said "Dad I'm so sorry" and he laughed it off. It was also when I found out he was going thru what sounded like a mild cold. That cold got worse and he passed away 4 days after Christmas after never being sick or in a Hospital since the day he was born. I still feel so bad about about missing that Birthday and miss him every second of everyday but trust me Dad's understand and your's will too.

4. With all of the electronic gadgets you have in your daily life you couldn't have set up a alarm on one of them????? I hope he understands.Once they are gone they are gone forever remember that when work gets in the way of family. I lost my Dad in 2002 I never felt so empty.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Dads can be far more forgiving in that regard than Moms. Dont EVER forget your Moms birthday!

Immigrant likes this.
  6. Definitely

Definitely Banned

NO. My mom started crying one year when I forgot to make her a card...didn't forget the birthday, didn't forget the present, just the card...

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

As a father and grandfather I can say that a lot of us are okay with things like this. It's okay if no one makes a big fuss over me on my birthday and even more so for father's day. What I really like is when my son calls me and we give each other a hard time in a friendly way. He knows how to make me laugh and we both love it when he does.

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Not this past Fathers day, but the one before, our family kind of "forgot" Fathers day.
    It wasnt so much that we forgot it, I actually spent that weekend with my dad and my brother, but it was overshadowed by my bachelor party in Vegas.
    We couldnt do anything the following weekend because that Saturday was my wedding, and the next day I was off for Maui.
    We arrived home late the following Saturday, and spent the next day at the InLaws (with my family as well).
    In all the chaos no one realized that we didnt do anything 'just for Dad'. It got mentioned this year, and we all felt a little bad about it.
    We all went out for dinner this year and had a good time, and everyone got over it.

BUT, had that happened to Mom, none of us kids would ever hear the end of it.
    Thankfully, for Mothers Day we all go to Knotts Berry Farm, and I wouldnt miss it for the world. :D

9. I'm not a father but if your dad is anything like mine he will just tell it's just another day and not to worry about it.

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Uh-Oh Walter Knott was a staunch supporter of the John Birch Society that's right up there with Chic-A ... :bag: Oh never mind. ;)

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I go just to gay up the place. :D

Immigrant likes this.
  12. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    If he's like my dad, he'll use it as ribbing advantage every time you get together. Something like...."oh you wonder what I want for xmas this year? It's not like you'll remember so why bother right?"

My wife missed my birthday and we were in the Caribbean on vacation. Why were we there again? Oh yea, so that people we met days earlier could make the effort to get me a cake while she face palmed herself.

That's called CREDIT and pretty much I can forget anything and I have a get out of jail free card, not that I would as I'm responsible but...I COULD IF I WANTED DANGIT!
    The fact that my wife doesn't care about anniversaries, birthdays, jewelry, fancy clothers (other than bikinis) is why I love her so.

13. Bateman23

Bateman23

Jan 27, 2016
    I forgot my dad's birthday today. I got caught up with school work and it totally slipped, I feel really bad as well. I did get a chance to talk to him later in the day, and I told him that I wanted to do dinner later in the week when I have a day off from work and school. What he did was tell me that he thought that he raised me better than that and said that he'd pray I make changes in my life. Then he finished with how would you feel if....and it really hurt. I don't know how to respond to that. I can understand being upset or disappointed, but he just really threw it back in my face. What do I do or say?

Immigrant likes this.
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well I guess agree with him. You did forget and the only thing you can do is accept it. Just apologize and then say "lets go get that dinner I owe you."
    He will be ok but wants you to slow down and remember some of the important things in life.

BTW, tomorrow is my BD :thumbsup:

15. You tell him he's lucky you remembered at all with all the other more important stuff you've got going on. Why don't you include how disappointed you are that he missed this or that while you were growing up. At least that's kind of OK to do, after all, you were the kid. Tell him to keep praying, because that will make HIM feel better.

My dad was a lot cooler than that, and he was an incorrigible drunk.

16. Bateman23

Bateman23

Jan 27, 2016
    Happy birthday man!!! Thanks for the advice

bassbully likes this.
  17. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Tell yourself, "Wow, not sure why dad's being a jerk, but that's uncalled for. It's just a birthday, and I did remember, just a little late. Not really a Fedeal Offense, so I'm gonna let it slide and not get down on myself since I didn't do anything horribly wrong. I'll give dad a few days to get over whatever's bugging him then see if he wants to grab dinner. And maybe ask him if everything's okay."

I do not agree with your fathers reaction AT ALL. Totally uncalled for. Not cool. Not how I treat my kids. Not how my dad treated me. Not how yours should treat you.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    How about getting over it?