1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I found a 60's Jazz Bass...well...maybe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iconoclast, Aug 3, 2007.

1. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    Hey guys,

First time posting here in the main forum. I've got a lead on a 60's Jazz bass from a friend at work. He says the guy will sell it for $2000. Supposedly all original including the finish.

How can I date this instrument and make sure it has not been refinished? Anything I need to check out? What parts should I look at? Coding?

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    take the neck off and there should be a date penciled or stamped on the heel.

there are a few good websites that list all the little details of all the various changes and there corresponding dates too

3. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Here's one good site:

Vintage Fender Info

If this is an early 60's Fender jazz, then what you're trying to do, without showing your cards, is to find out why someone is trying to sell something at less than 20% of its market value. Is he an idiot? Or is the bass a fake?

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    He may not know what it's worth or it could be *hot*

5. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    I don't think he knows what it's worth. He's an older guy, had the bass a longgg time.

6. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia

7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I am witchoo on the post CBS production quality. It has been more miss than hit, though hits are out there they are far fewer than the lemons, ... I cannot for the life of me having lived through and played in the 70s see the justification in quality terms why there is so much 'vintage 70s' Fender hype as if every 70s Fender was special. To each his/her own I guess.