Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I found a Music Man 1x18 locally--any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, May 8, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I really have been wanting an 18 lately, and this would match up perfectly with my Music Man HD130 (tube poweramp). It's at guitar center, so i'm gonna try to trade my Randall 1x15 (heaviest freakin 1x15 EVER) & Fender BXR100 for it. It's about the size of a 4x12, but not that heavy. Should I go for it? Are Music Man cabs good (especially their 18s)? Are they efficient? It'd replace my Randall in the Oxenrig:
    [​IMG]

I'd be using it with the HD130 strictly for clean lows.

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    How is that MM HD130? Are they pretty loud? It's all tube, right? How's the tone? I saw one on Ebay and thought about buying it, but thought it wasn't enough power. Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the 18" you are looking at. As big as a 4x12" cab, huh? weird. What kinda driver is the 18"?

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The HD130 is actually solid state preamp, tube power amp. And yes, it's very loud. And deep. So deep my randall cab can't handle the lows it pumps out. That's why I think a matching Music Man cab would be the ticket for it. I'm guessing the 18 is an EV, since that's what MM used in their cabs. The driver is 150 watts @ 8 ohms, so I don't want to hear any of that underpowering bulls***.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    dude you'd be soooo underpowering that cab!

:p
    like I said in a vaguely familar thread @ HCBF.... Just buy it already!

5. I have a Music Man HD130 and MM 1-18 setup I bought back in the late 70's. I don't use either of them anymore but back in the day it sounded pretty good. If the 18'' your looking at is the front loaded bass reflex cabinet like mine it will give you plenty of bottom and some decient mids and highs. One thing you have to be ready for, if it's the reflex cabinet, is the cabinet is designed to blow the walls down in the back of the room. You wont think its loud enough on stage but the kitchen help will hate you.(Dishes and glasses vibrating all over the place). One thing I did a few times to help control the rumble was to face the cabinet backwards. It looked a little weird on stage but for some reason it worked. If it's not the front loaded bass reflex cabinet just ignore everything I said.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, it's the front loaded reflex design. That's what I want. :smug:

If the one i'm looking at ends up getting sold before I can buy it, could I buy yours?

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anybody else have any experience with this cab? :confused:

8. I have an HD130 with the matching single 18 cab. Lows like you wouldn't believe and LOUD, but the response is not as quick as I like. I may replace the 4 ohm driver with an 8 ohm and run it under my ABM 410; still thinking about that, but more than likely I'll just sell the head and cab.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    But would it make a good sub cab to use with a midrange/treble rig?

Also, when you say the response isn't as quick as you like, does that mean it's lacking highs, or it doesn't punch you in the chest like your 4x10?

10. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Have you tried turning the Randall so the port/mouth is on the floor? I'd guess that it was designed to have a boundary there. It might affect the LF cutoff and overall output.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    (Snicker-snicker)

Hey - YOU brought it up this time.

Joe

12. It probably would be good coupled with cab with 10's and a tweeter. I just find that for really fast passages the individual note clarity isn't there when used alone; though that may be due to the lack of a tweeter. The lows are huge; it just doesn't fit well with the stuff I'm playing now.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's cool, I just want it to add some clean big booty to my tone. Right now it's like a voluptuous-yet-anorexic farting high school girl, whereas I want it to be more like a hooker from the ghetto screaming when she finds out you don't have enough money! (if that makes any sense at all)

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    :spit:

:p