Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Found a Pistol... Astra Model 600

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    As you know, my grandma died. We went to her house and were looking through things and we found a pistol. When I first saw it, it appeared to be a Russian TT33. I was thinking, why would my American fighting grandpa have a Russian gun? I examined it closer, and I saw it takes 9mm Kurz bullets. I knew Kurz was German, so that made me think ol' grandpa Pete ripped it off a Nazi. I examined it more, and I saw it said "GUERNICA ESPAÑA" which is a city in Spain. I was thinking, "What the hell does Spain have to do with Germany? So I came home and went on the Modern Firearms website and I looked through Russia, Germany, and Spain. I found it under spain. It's called an Astra Mod 600. It has Astra stamped on the barrel (i'll get pics up tomorrow.)

[​IMG]

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg78-e.htm

I know it will be hard to tell now, but does anyone know how much this would be worth? We're not gonna sell it, we would just like to know. Like I said, it will be hard to know how much it's worth without pics, but it's in amazing condition. And one more question, I wouldn't be able to use regular 9mm bullets right? I would need 9mm Kurz right? Where could I get those if I need to use the Kurz?

And the startling thing was, when I found it, the mag was loaded with 6 bullets. Luckily, the mag was in a mag pouch on the holster, and the gun was in the main part of the holster. I unloaded the mag, and we're keeping the bullets SEPERATE from the pistol. Thanks a ton guys!

2. America seems such a different place, if you found a gun in someones house in Oz you better call the cops :smug:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    America... **** YEAH!

Anyways, here's a couple pics I just snapped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. +1

Especially if you found it in an old lady's house.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can we please put this thread back on course?

It was my Grandpa's, but he died. :rolleyes:

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Missed the thread on grandfather. Sorry to hear it.

Back to Astra thread: Pretty sure that 9mm Kurz is also known as .380 ACP, which should be available pretty much everywhere.

dcr

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

That's correct.

Cool find, petary. I'll try to find some info on value.

brad cook

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

YOU DA MAN BRAD!

I've come to the conclusion that before I shoot it, i'm gonna bring it to a gunsmith. Now I need to find a gunsmith...

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's the serial number?

brad cook

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was afraid you'd ask me that.

I'm gonna look, but can you tell me where to look?

EDIT: Alright I think I found it. It's in 2 places (the slide and by the grips.) It's 575XXX.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, now change the last 3 digits in your post to 'xxx'

I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

brad cook

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Alrighty, thanks.

I don't want people to see my Serial number right?

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There are what appears to be proof or inspector's marks/cartouches at the rear of the frame on the left side. If these are indeed martial marks then that will add to the value of your gun. Just don't expect to be able to cover next month's mortgage payment with it.

No surprise finding a Spanish made gun in the hands of a German soldier. Most armies have a primary issue pistol and a bunch of secondary ones. So while we all know that the Walthers are THE Nazi pistols, they also issued other pistols. Some made in countries which at one time or another were their allies. Or since the German Condor Legion fought in the Spanish Civil War, it might've been brought back from Spain by a veteran of that war who got smoked by Grampaw in WW2. :bawl:

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It appears to be in excellent shape, It appears your grandfather really took care of it. Cool. Hows your grandmother holding out? It was definitely tougher on my mom then me when my dad passed. Keep an eye on her.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My grandpa died 14 years ago, and my grandma was fine. She died a week ago.

That's why we were going through her house and stuff. I doubt she even knew the pistol was up where it was.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Good call on separating the bullets from the gun. Don't fire it until it has been given a clean bill of health by the local gunsmithy.

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sorry Dude, i should have gone back and checked the thread.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No worries.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Why?

Does having had an antique war souvenir make the late Mr. Petary (senior) some kind of fugitive?) Would the charges be lesser or worse for his late widow? Are the police going to go to the cemetery to charge her?

A souvenir brought home from the war is no biggie. A large collection of suspicious weaponry might be ominous. But why call the police if you find a weapon?

I know that many of the TBer's from outside the US think of most of us asmilitaristic whackos, ready to open fire on our surroundings, but that's really not the case. And a gun is often just a tool. For defense, for hunting, for targetshooting, or even a keepsake from a stressful period in your life.

I was accosted by a hostile idiot on the street, several years back. He was waaaaay out of his depth. I could probably STILL take him, being old, fat, and slow now. I asked the Police Officer that took him away if I could keep the assailants knife as a souvenir. He replied "You could have till you told me it was his. Now it's evidence." and he took it away in a plastic bag. It wasn't THAT cool of a knife. But I would have liked to have kept it. That is probably the last time in my life I'll ever go all caveman on somebody and have it work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.