I found a rose under the turd!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43apples, May 25, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey guys, for you who remember my "would this be like polishing a turd" thread, well, i "washed the turd and found a rose inside it" :D

First of all, i took off the darn' elixirs, and put on some other strings. 3 year old fenders to be excact, which was the only strings i had at the moment :rolleyes: . Well, all of a sudden the "plasticy" tone of the bass was gone, and i got a really thick, even tone with much more Mwah and growl ;). Can't wait to hear what it would sound like with some fresh DR's!

After that, i adjusted the MM pickup so that it was lower on the "bass" side and higher on the "G-string" side, and i also adjusted it the other way, so that the inner coil (closest to the brigde) was higher on the "bass" side. If you see what i mean :p .

I also strung all the strings except the E so that the ball end was connected "top mount" in the brigde, and the E string was connected "trough the body". ;).

Now, the bass SCREAMS with personality! The G and D strings are much fatter and louder than before, the E and A is clearer, and not boomy and lifeless as before!

Now i think it's time for some barts! ;).

Sorry for the rant, but i'm a happy bassist now!! :hyper: :hyper:

2. Glad to hear it. I tried a similar project with an old bass of mine and had much less stellar results. I rarely, if ever, play it anymore. :(
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome! I've experimented witt a few of my basses, and they're much better. Just gotta be daring.
  4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Congrats! Nice going!
  5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks! :)

The bass isn't the most resonant i've played, but it just has this *mojo* ;). This will most certainly be my "Nr. 1" trough my years of bassing :D!

I'll see if i could record some soundclips, if anyone's interested?

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, to describe what it sounds like (i'm so proud! :smug: ), it sounds VERY aggressive, brigth and harmonics just seem to jump out of the strings if you aren't careful ;). Sorta like a Jacoish tone, but sligthly different. The notes have a very noticeable volume swell, depending on how you pluck them. Seriously, i can change the sound from "PHUNK", to "mmmmMMMWaaaahh" to "chhhhang", you name it! :)

Aaaaaah, the joys of fretless!!! Weeeeeee!!! :hyper:
  7. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    For all the hype I heard, I tried Elixers as well.
    Well, for my style and tonal preference they were +- 10%
    LESS bright and articulate in the mid/high range than my DR Highbeams. Granted, tis a matter of personal preference. But My Ric 4003 and both active and passive Fenders had more of that ...'bite' ummmm... 'puke' :D that I so love.
    Experiment always with every aspect of your tone.
    We are bass players because we were born with the passion!
    Tweak Tweak Tweak! Feed your soul!

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, glad it worked out for you. It's always nice to discover untapped potential in gear you already have -- but still, go get those Barts!