I found my holy grail today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    ... and they wouldn't sell it to me. GAH! At the brand spanking new GC in San Francisco (not that impressive, except for the displays) they have a Mesa/Boogie Bass 130 under glass. Oh my god, I've been looking for one of these for almost 10 years. It's covered in snake skin, and was made by hand by Randall Smith back in 1970. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I track down a sales guy, and I'm told it's not for sale. WHAT?! Apparently this is one of Randall Smith's personal amps and it's for display purposes only. Ye gods, why must you torment me so?! GAH!!

They only made about 100-200 of these; "they" meaning Randall Smith and possibly Mike Benedelli, Mesa's first employee. This is the first time I've seen one in person, and I couldn't even touch it. Man, I am hurting right now. I would have paid ALOT of money for one of these things, and now I want one more than ever. :scowl: Sales dude says he'll put the word out and try to find another one - but I've been looking for close to a decade, so I don't think he's going to have much more luck than I have.

Life is so unfair. I think I may just have to kill myself.
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Sorry to hear that, an off/topic type questions:

There's a guy( guitarist ) telling me that his old bass player had a 800watt M/B head. It looked like the 400+. Is there truth to this? I've never seen M/B go over 400 watts in their bass head line. Is there a way I can get a link to a site that shows all of M/b's bass stuff since the beginning?
  3. Hmm, 800 watt solid state could definitely be a possibility. Although I'm not very well-versed in Mesa/Boogie, I don't think they have an 800 watt tube head.
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Solid state I would understand...he says it's tube. The more and more he tells me the less and less I believe. heh
  5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    800watt tube? That's gotta be a monster!

To Ben: You'll find another, i'm sure of it. Most likely most of the 200 are in someones garage collecting dust or the junk yard.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dude is full of crap. The most wattage Boogie has ever put in a tube amp is 300 watts, period. The highest wattage is the Big Block, which puts out 750 RMS into a 2 ohm load.

My guess is that he had a 400+, and it just sounded like 800 watts. I could understand that. :smug:

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's a list of all the bass amps Boogie has ever made:

-The first Mesa/Boogie amp was a bass amp, made for Patrick Burke, called the Mesa 450. I'd kill for this amp.
    -Bass 130. I'd severly maim for this amp.
    -Bass Master 400
    -Bass 400
    -Bass 400+
    -Mpulse series (600, 360, Walkabout)
    -Big Block 750
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That's what I've been saying, the bass 400+ is 400 watts isn't it? If not I'm misinformed :). I asked him if it was the 400+ and he said no so I just don't believe the guy.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Bass 400+ uses 12 6L6 power tubes. In MOST amps that would yield about 300 watts RMS on a good day. Even running them with a higher plate voltage, you'd be hard pressed to get real 400 watts RMS. Doesn't matter, it's still REAL LOUD and the difference between 300 and 400 watts is only 1.2 dB anyway.
  9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    True dat.
  10. catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Have you talked to Randall Smith and asked him if HE knows of any available for sale? I'm guessing if anyone would know it would be him. I wouldn't be suprised if he even had one he might sell you. Can't hurt to make an offer on the on in the store either.
  11. This one's easy: find the pimpliest salesman working the floor, flash your Mesa ID badge and start jabbering about a company museum. :)
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So why not ask the boss about it? :eyebrow:
  13. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey man, it just occured to me that your username initials are B.S.
    .........heh heh...........

Nothing to do with this thread.

Thank you.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) We all knew that
    2.) I hope you wont, but if you do decide to, may I inherit some of your Mesa gear ;) :smug: :p :D

Just kidding. ;)

I'm sure you'll find one in time...

Just kidding. ;) erm... no I mean I hope you will :smug:
  15. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I had heard something that maybe someone around here can confirm/deny, sort of a general thing but related - I was told that Fender amp techs who were amazingly gifted at modding circuits were getting more requests for their mods than stock gear so they decided to go out on their own. Who "they" (said magical techs) were, the guy telling the story didn't say. In other words, were Randall Smith and gang formerly Fender?

Sorry if everyone else knows the story of how Mesa Boogie was born...
  16. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks SMASH.

I didn't realize Mr. Strange is a former Mesa employee. Very hip.
    Not that he's a *former* emplyee, never mind - you know what I mean. Now the "flash your Mesa I.D. badge" thing makes sense. I thought maybe they were just handing those out and I missed it. :/
  17. I'm not too into Mesa, but I thought the first Mesa was a Modded Princeton. :confused:
  18. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    See? We need the truth!
  19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ben Strange - How do you know if this is the holy grail amp for you if youve never seen one until now? ;)
  20. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    So are my sons,,, :p