Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I found my ideal bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by anthem274, Dec 19, 2004.

1. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Thank you everyone for your advice. It was very helpful. I chose not to use it. Although I was very impressed by the reviews and antique look of the New Standard basses, I found something else. I took a quick trip to a local, hole in the wall double bass shop. After playing the six basses I was disappointed. The only bass that I could afford was a 1960 Hofner laminate. One of the basses did catch my eye though. An anonymous German bass, one that was 140 years old. It has absolutely beautiful tone and even better playability. REAL antique wood with plenty of time to develop makes for a great sound that I, personally, could listen to all day. It was definetely my favorite in the shop; better than the $13,000 wonderful excessively carved pure German bass. When I play the old German bass, I feel like I am actually not only pleasing the ears of my listeners, but mine, very much so, as well. I feel there is a history to this bass, kind of like a giant "red violin". There is a joy and overwhelming sense of power in this bass. Unfortunately, I knew that I couldnt afford it.... or so I thought. "This is my dream bass... if only I could afford it.." "Actually that one is on sale," said the VERY negotiable salesman, "it's about $3,500." My eyes lit up, wide with greed. That was certainly a very pleasant surprise. I can afford my dream, or current dream bass. He told me it wasn't going to be sold anytime soon and that I have it on reserve because I love it so much. Not only did I find the best bass, but certainly the finest salesman. Truly an amazing combination.

I respect all of your advice, but I just can't trust a bass off the internet, no mater how good the reviews. If I saw the $13,000 bass on the internet, I would've said, "Wow! That thing must sound like a dream." But you have to give your ears and fingers the responsibilty of choosing the right bass, not your eyes and imagination. I never would have guessed a great German bass from the 1860's would be so incredibly cheap. Nor did I imagine that it would, in my opinion, sound so much and play so much better than another German bass that is ten grand more. I believe that I have found my match, and I couldn't be happier with it.

2. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Pictures? :) Let's see this baby.

Also, in Arnolds defense, his new standard basses are not internet basses, they are just shown and described there. Those basses can be played and tested in his shop just like any other. Try not to lump them into that internet/ebay sales category. It's just not the same thing.

3. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    where was the shop you got your Bass?
    Cause I am looking for a bass myself