I found my lightweight rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wings, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Wings

Feb 6, 2005
    Bellport, NY
    I play with acoustic Blues musicians. My usual rig is a 60 pound Fender 2x10 cab and a 28 pound 400 watt Fender amp. The rig sounds great, but my back has been giving me trouble so I decided to try to find a lightweight alternative.

By researching the individual components here on TalkBass and the web, I came up with the following... The Acoustic Image Clarus amp at 6.5 pounds, the GK 112 MBX cab at 12 pounds, and I threw in the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass equalizer for good measure.

Although this system doesn't have the same mellow sound of my 82 pound rig, it ain't at all bad. In fact, it's just different and in a noisy club environment, it has the punch to cut through the noise.

If you're looking for a lightweight rig with a really nice sound, you might want to look into these components.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just met an upright bassist who was playing with a big-band, and he used a tiny Acoustic Image combo with a downward-firing ten or twelve, then a mid and tweet on the front. It was pretty cool. He said that it was 400W, and US$900. I noticed that the woofer had a low-complience rolled-rubber type surround - like a home stereo speaker would have.

..And I'm talkin' TINY! This thing was really small - like a little boom-box or table radio or something!

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I was looking at putting together a similar rig, but with the Focus instead of the Clarus and was going to use 2 MBX112's. I already have the Focus, just need to get around to ordering the MBX112's.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Make that an Epifani 112UL, and you have a very light and
    small rig that can get louder than you would think. The Focus
    is a good match up. You can get a 110UL for smaller gigs. Put
    the two together for a killer small light rig that gets louder
    than squat.
  5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have 2 HT112's so another similar cab would be redundant.
  6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    also check out the lds (low down sound) small cabs, i love the 2x8 cab and the 3-way 1x10 cab...
  7. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It would be redundant if they were similar. The epi's have
    much more low end and volume in a box thats 10 lbs lighter.
    However, the berg's are great boxes. So why get the mbx112
    boxes if you have the berg's?
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    12 lbs vs 39 lbs.
  9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Aha! Actually, the 112UL is 30lbs. BUT! The 110UL is 20lbs
    and goes lower, goes higher, and much louder than the GK
    112 box. I'm only leaning so hard against the GK box because
    its so limited. I realize its very light and less expensive than
    other boxes, but I would look at the versatility and sound
    quality too. In the end.... do what your heart wills you to
    do grasshopper.
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    39 lbs is what the Berg weighs and is the response to your question to why get the GK's when I already have the Bergs. Very light and less expensive are exactly why I'm leaning toward the GK. When I need versatility and sound I go for the Berg over the Epi or anything else. Besides, if I spend money on any more high dollar cabs they will be Accugrooves.

11. I was going to suggest Accugroove as I use a pair of Tri 112Ls with my clarus and I just love them. But in view of your comment above I won't suggest them :D