Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I found out my best friend is using Heroin

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Last night i went over and saw one of my best friends i have known him comming on 20 years, littel did i know how much an effect this visit was going to have on me. We were just sitting their talking and he gets up franticly looking for something for 15 minutes and when he found it their was a great relief that came over him it was almost like he was able to get a hit right then. I kept asking him what are you looking for he wouldent answer me but i figure he was just looking for his Grass but when he found it he held it up to the light and i said WOW thats not Grass is that dope and he started crying saying how sorry he was he had to do this infront of me and before he would answer me about if it was dope or grass he made me swear i wouldent tell his family then he told me that it was dope and he was only using it on his days off. As most would know who have expirences with Herion this isint a drug you do a few days and put it down for weeks or months after days of getting it.One thing that tip me off that it is going beyound the days off thing is that he sold of most of his guitar collection when i asked him about it he said he was having some rough times, i know this is not going to be easy for either of us.Have any of you had to help with a friend hooked on Heroin? out of all the drugs he had to dance with this one this Sh!t eats your soul steer clear of it man.God Help us all.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wow man, friends that go bad on dope are always a bad thing!
    I don't have experience with heroin, or people using it, but I do wish you and your mate the strength to get through it.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Heroin is tough.....

Iceland has drug problems just as every country, but fortunately, there seems to be a unwritten law amongst those who import the drugs to not get heroin, crack or strong stuff like that into the country.

Having said that, amfetamin, cocaine, lsd, ecstacy, and hashish is bad enough.

Sorry about your friend..

4. Well, look on the bright side. Heroin is easier to kick than tobacco! I've heard stories about people who were able to kick heroin, cocaine and alcohol but couldn't quit cigarettes.

- Dave

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Dave said. Another point: heroin addiction doesn't damage the body as much as alcohol or cocaine addiction.

I'm NOT trying to say your friend isn't in danger. He obviously has a very serious addiction. Maybe you can talk him into treatment? I know, easier said than done... I had no luck with a former best friend.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It sucks, but do WHATEVER you can at all, whether or not he hates you now for it to get him off of it. Perhaps a confrontation with his family (break his trust if you have to) it's for the better. One of my best friends has been doing cocaine, acid and a few other things... Those really close to him confronted him about it, sent him away to Ireland, a place he loves, in the care of some close-watching loving people. A month later, he's back, and I think he's clean... but only time will tell.

7. I strongly disagree....heroin addicts don't have much of a future (unless they're so extremely wealthy--like a certain Rolling stones guitarist-- that they can get pure smack along with medical help to sustain them.)

This is some serious business. I read today a brief account of Tom Petty's bass player, sorry his name escapes me...he died despite interventions from his friends and family.

My condolences. There isn't much you can do. Drive him to a detox clinic if he's willing, but you can only let him find his own bottom. This may be jails, institutions, or death.

8. Sorry to hear about your friend, Major.

Heroin is a very insidious drug, very hard to kick. He will need to get some professional help, and its also imperative that he removes himself from the people and situations that lead him to do this to himself.

All the best.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Arguing about how damaging heroin is compared to other drugs is silly.

From what it sounds like, your friend has long passed over the casual usage phase into full-on addiction. You and his loved ones should intervene as soon as possible! As tpylons said, even if it means breaking his trust. If you let him, he will only fall deeper and deeper into addiction and could very well end up doing something he regrets.

10. The cryig part makes the occasional user part seem kida' hard to believe.

Such an expensive habit. I wonder how people keep it up at all.....

11. oh yeah, and that thing about cigarettes is total nonsense. Nicotine might be physically addictive, but there's nothing enjoyable about it. The psychological aspect of addiction is the real kicker. why else would so many people go to rehab for cannabis and cocaine (insuflated)?

12. +1 on both counts....good luck, do the best you can, but you must set boundaries when trying to help him, there's only so much you can do. Addiction is far stronger than many people realize; sadly, I'm speaking from personal experience.

13. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I don't have flowery words to tell you what to do, but coming from a former druggie and current christian...PRAY, and I agree whole heartedly that you need to break that trust and get his family involved. He may dislike it for awhile, but once things get better, he will thank you for it. I'll definatly keep you two in my prayers...

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    MM, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I don't think anything good has ever come out of using heroin.
    One of the managers that I work with brought his step son into the company to drive a route for us. At first he was doing fine and I had no idea of his previous drug problems. From what I was told the kid had a "small" crack problem when he was living in North Carolina. He moved up here to get away from all that and like I said was doing pretty good in the begining. Anyway, turns out that his problem wasn't crack it was heroin and in the year he was with us he got back into it more and more. To make matters worse the guy also has two children under the age of 3. He pretty much took advantage of his mother and step father( the guy I work with). As it stands now the guy has pretty much sold everything he owns and lots of stuff that wasn't his. He trashed his stepfather's credit, his wife moved back to NC with the kids and the car that my friend is still paying for, he's lost his job and his apartment. It's really sad how drugs can ruin lives. I try to drill this into my sons head so he doesn't get mixed up in it.

15. MAJOR METAL

I just got off the phone with our other best friend (in our youth we were like the three horsemen so were all pretty tight) and we both agreed this has to be dealt with soon. I am going to set up a meeting with my friend for hopefull tomorrow and see how honest he is with me about what is going on and what we can do to get him the help he needs.

16. MAJOR METAL

I am doing some BIG time Praying, i plan on offering my Mass for him tomorrow.

17. MAJOR METAL

He just called and i set up a time for "Lunch" tomorrow , so now it is time to take the next step.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    MMetal, if I was on heroin - I would want someone like you to help me! I'm sure you'll do a great job in helping him.

I'm really sorry your friend is on heroin, but for what it's worth, try not to judge him (and i'm not accusing you of judging him) - even the greatest people can go down the wrong road at one time in their life.

:)

19. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Speaking as a recovering alcoholic, and a guy who has worked with people in other types of recovery, just be aware that there's only so much you can do. Addiction, by nature, requires people to become amazingly good liars, to themselves and then others. He may just tell you what he thinks you want to hear, go through some motions, and continue with addiction as usual.

My advice would be to do what you can, which may not be much, and then make clear that you're not sticking around to watch him kill himself, and he should call you when he's ready to clean up, which may never happen. It sounds harsh, but looking around and realizing he has no friends left can help him realize he has a problem. It also will keep you out of harm's way if he becomes desperate and looking for something to sell for smack. This WILL happen eventually, especially if he's selling his axes already. I wish I had something more cheerful to say, but the odds are stacked against your friend getting better. The good news, is that I know a few people who have been clean for years.

If he's crying out to you for help, get him to an NA meeting. He may be looking for a way out. Just don't expect too much, there's a reason that Heroin has the horrible reputation it does. Your news truly saddens me.

And pray. God will do things us mortals can't, if your friend will allow Him.

And by the way, I still haven't quit smoking, but then, I haven't been too wasted from smoking cigarettes to drive home safely, and I haven't awakened in a strange house wearing someone else's underwear because I had too much nicotine the night before, either.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Good luck with that dude...

I am not much of help here... but if there is some chance that you think i or some of people here can help in anyway... (ie finding some info etc) ask... i doubt there is much we can do but i am sure a lot of us would see if they can try to help...