I found THE string!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I just woke up this morning thinking "I need a set of SS rounds Now!" so i went down to the local store and looked what they had and i got a deal on the "new" D'addario ProSteels so i went for a set of those. Stringed them up on my Warmoth P, i had to pick up my jaw from the floor, these strings are amazing! I have always disliked D'addario all my life and still do because of the quality and sound of the strings but that Beta test i have read about here at TB sure told them how a string should sound!

Thank you Beta testers and D'addario for making my No.1 set of strings! :hyper: :bassist:
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    When I first started playing music on guitar, I used D'Addarios. They tended to break. I used Ernie Balls after thatm and they didn't break as much. Found out it was a problem with the bridge. So, years later, I switched to D'Addarios on my basses as well. I love how they sound, and have switched my guitar player to them too.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really like the Pro Steals a lot as well, but I think they're a bit pricey, at least compared to their Nickels.
  4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I love ProSteels. I ranted and raved for weeks when I got mine... I had tried some La Bella steels, and well... I had to happy for the disgusting price I paid for a 4 string set plus a high C and low B from juststrings.com (I'll never buy from them again, terrible customer service).

I found that I liked the tone of steels, so when those died, I stuck some Elixirs back on. I was happy again, but then I saw my shop carried the new Prosteels, so I jumped and got a set for my six. Loved the tone. I think I paid about $50 for La Bella's... Prosteels were only around $35 for a 6er set.

In fact, I liked 'em so much, that when they were dead enough to replace, I strung the E-G on my fretless after a boiling. Best. Mwah. Ever.
  5. i used prosteels on our last record and i love the clear, piano like sound of them. Great strings IMO, but the guitar tech who sorted us out said he never used them himself! Why the bad name?
  6. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Indeed...I guess we should sue for false advertising then :D

...end of pun...
  7. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Now you just need to find the other 3 strings...

Seriously though, just because one person doesn't like the sound of a certain type of string doesn't mean they're bad for every person/setup. Good job on the experimentation.
  8. nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    uhhh... is boiling meant for old strings, or any strings?
  9. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    some guys do it right out of the package, some do it as a rebirthing technique (you know just one or two more gigs..) and some of us just use new each time.... Me boil strings? hell I don't even make coffee. :)
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have just fallen in love with the Prosteels myself. They are THE string for me too!
  11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I really dig the punch and clarity without being over the top up high. It has been a long time since I have really connected with a steel string. Of course my main ride was a G&L for a while and they do not do well with steel. But the Sadowsky is a bird of a different color...

12. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
  13. I too have recently been strung up with Pro steels. Even my girlfriend was amazed when she heard them.
  14. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Even my guitar play took notice :D . And he doesn't even know how to spell base.

15. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I like them too...they are only $16.99 at GC, for a 4-string set, so I don't know how you guys consider them expensive? However I found they don't last quite as long as the older Prisms. Maybe that's just a subjective thing. Then again, I went from regular gauge Prisms to reg/light Prosteels. I found them easier to play...any opinions on durability/sound difference for the lighter gauges?
  16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yeah, that was pretty funny...not sure what I was thinking, but maybe the though of paying so much for those strings I sub-consiously spelled it that way.
  17. Really? I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of strings from this site (sets and singles) and have never had a problem nor a reason to use customer service. In fact, I typically get my strings within 3 days.
  18. Best string set-up:

D'Addario half rounds with low action.

The strings give a flatwound feel and smoothness while the low action provides an edgy slap-tone similar to steel round-wounds without any buzz due to the smooth nature of the string. Both the smoothness and the low action allow for faster and seemless playing.
  19. I'm a DR kinda guy.

Those are -the- string for me.
  20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have tried the Prosteel strings. I still prefer SR2000s.