I found "The Tone" ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 3, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

.. and its name is "P-Bass!" :hyper:

I read a lot of threads where folks advise you to play and practice until you find "your sound." I never really knew what that meant -- I always assumed it referred to "what you hear in your head when you think, 'Bass.'"

Well, I've been playing & practicing (and trying lots of basses) and while I've come close, I never really had that "moment of clarity" until today.

I have an old Yamaha BB1000 (1977 P-Bass equivalent) that I just strung with Labella DT flats. As I began to play, it hit me ... "This is what a Bass is supposed to sound like!" Deep & Round. Fat & chunky. This is the sound I grew up listening to and I love it!

I don't think for a minute that this is what ALL basses/bassists should sound like. I also don't think this sound is appropriate for all idioms of music, nor should it be the only one that I should be able to produce.

This is however, the sound I've been searching for since I first picked up the instrument a year ago and I just wanted to share that revelation with you guys! :D
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  3. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah that's the tone. I've got a fender pbass with Labella DT Jamersons. Try foam under the bridge for more good sounds.
  4. I like th esound of a P-bass, but hate the look.

That there is sharper than any P-bass, you have the best of both worlds. Nice wood, nice non-dot inlays.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's the way to go. I had a '78 Precision strung with TI's that really just thumped.
  6. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Congrats, those moments of discovery are exciting.

Don't be surprised if your tastes continue to change/evolve over time. I've been playing bass since 1973, and am still making subtle adjustments to my "ideal" tone.
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Not exactly...You may or may not have noticed that the pickup positions have been reversed, with the E/A half being closer to the bridge and the D/G half closer to the neck. Though I've never tried a P with this reverse pickup configuration, I've heard good things about them.

Congrats on finding your sound!
  8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Yeah -

The "Reverse P" config was Yamaha's interpretation of the concept for a long time. I've not had a chance to A/B this with standard Fender setup but I'm sure it's relatively comparable. As it is, it works for me!
  9. Ive got a couple of early 80's BB300's basically the same bass, maybe not as nice. One is a project bass that Ive just added a j bridge pup to but I dont use it as the p pup is still the "sound" for this bass. My main bass is a black BB300 with a bad assll, schaller tuners and d-tuner, new pots and 1/4lb SD P pups, this bass is "the killer" in my rock band, IMHO it blows the doors off any MIA fender with the exception of maybe some "vintage" fender stuff. Solid wood and neck and I think it has something to do with the reverse p pup's, just something about them compared to my other fender p basses that they just cant do as well, maybe its the tighter lows I get from the BB's? Anyway, that is one sick Yamy you have there, if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it?
  10. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Sharp lookin' instrument you got there.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IotaNet, I'm glad to hear that you got a sound that does it for you. That is always a great thing to achieve. I personally lean more towards a J-bass and Stingray sort of tone, plus I really prefer roundwounds. As you said, every sound is not for everybody.
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Gotta love the Yahama. I am currently eyeing an 80's B2000 two tone.