I freak myself out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jun 14, 2005.

1. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Reason I am writing this is because I do not understand how this works...

So today I had a presentation and I was doing ok... my usual I will write down some notes but I won’t follow them and just talk for time about what comes to my mind... i was talking and then while talking I thought on the lines of "hehehehehe crack is funny"
    i have no idea why or how but next thing i know everyone looked up at me and looked very strange as i heard myself say "education and school in general is like crack" then i said very loudly "what?!?!?!?!" but it was too late so i kept on making connection and finally did somehow...

It was along the lines of "education is addictive and when you know some you want to know more" it was way off topic...

After i was done i walked to the seat as someone asked me "were you just talking about crack?"

I really don’t understand my brain... is it every brain or just me? how can i think while talking... why would i think while talking... how did i get from community building to crack?!?!

I have a teacher who does similar but does anyone else have this thing where they try to explain something and i go way off topic to tie it up somehow... I think it works i just don’t understand it...

Its not as bad as last quarter when i was lecturing on opium wars and then to explain why Chinese lost so bad i drew 2 stick figures one with a stick another with a gun and said "Chinese had sticks, they thought British had smaller sticks, in fact British had guns... Guns beat sticks, British won..." all along drawing somewhat like a battle map plan...

Please tell me i am not too crazy?
  2. Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    You are not alone. The mind does wonderful things. Like add words to your speech. Think about what you are saying.

Nice story... :D
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My recent insanity: My mom is on the phone with my brother, and she wanted him to come home, but he wanted the spend the night. She fought with him saying, "You need to come home." But he still argued. So I was like "Give me the phone." I had no idea what I was going to say, since my dad passed away, I've had to do some of the father work.

So I was like, "Erik... remeber that time you went to Waldameer (local amusement park) and you got to ride the rollercoaster?" (In my head I'm thinking... what the hell?) He says, "Yeah." My brain continued without my pemission, "There are some starving kids in Africa who don't even have rollercoasters to ride on!" He replied, "Uh, Ok." Then I said, "So remeber that... and get your ass home."
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sorry, no can do. :D
  5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Nope, not too crazy. Just enough, like most of us.
    My brain usually drifts when answering people's questions.

When asked about bass playing, I usually start by talking about bass, music, jazz, how jazz is important in my family, that my dad's christmas record is Let It Bleed by the Stones, how my parents are weird, that I ski with my parents, how many pairs of skis I've broken in the past few years, lifetime warranties on goods, warranties on cars, driving cars, driving pickups, construction work, summer jobs, money, tuition, school, and at some point realize I forgot what the question was in the first place. And then remember and say : "I've been playing for 7 years".
    Strange faces from the audience usually follows.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    BHWHWHHWHHAHWHHWHAHWHHAHWHAHHWHWAAAAAAAAAAAAA... I just had a flashback. You were talking about giving speeches... one time I gave an anti smoking speech, and for every speech our teacher encouraged us to put a lot of emphasis on getting everyones attention.

So mine starts out with my friend (who is like 6'8") wearing a purple girl's hat and a huge fake moustache, and he comes up to me, busts out a pack of smokes... and says, "Hey Matt... wanna cigarette?"

I glare at him, then start shaking and say, "no.... No.... NOO nOOOOOO" screaming at him by the end. Then I took a big metal top of a old VCR and break it over his head. I'm still screaming, and I'm like "GET THE **** OUT OF HERE, GET THE **** OUT OF HERE, I'LL KILL YOU, GET YOUR DEATH STICKS OUT OF HERE!!!" And he's scrambling down out the door. Then I threw the VCR top at him. He's running like mad. Like every teacher looks out into the hall to see what's going on. Then I go back into the room and say, "Man, I hate cigarettes... and here's why." And give my speech.
  7. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    my mind does that too but with things i think of and are not speaking, happens with things i say but not in school, and due to this i have earned the name "spaz-man" from a few friends
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sounds like you need some more cowbell baby!
  9. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Best thing I think I've ever done..
    You know when you are in those kinda poetic moods with your female friends.... And half way through your brain just shuts off?
    "Denielle.. You're beauty...ful.."
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    hahaha lol that was funny.

I have a hard time sometimes even thinking of what and how to say, so thinking off topic things is not really a problem for me :p
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah. Been there, done that.
    Not just with female friends.. when that happens at exams... now that sux
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You told your exam that it was beautiful? :)

YAY awesome... i feel normal again and somewhat amuzed by other stories:)

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey kserg - I assume your story means that you've smoked crack? :D

That stuff does funny things to peoples' brains.....

(twust mi i knowwww)..... :D:D:D

Seriously though, "the more you know, the more you realize how little you know" - A. Einstein. :)
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When it comes to public speaking, I have found that this problem usually is the result of poor preparation. I have given numerous talks and speeches before crowds, and when I am fully prepared, this is not a problem.

16. Im like that, mainly because Im the kinda guy who, when I give speeches, wings it. I never read or use note cards or whatever, I just let it flow. So lots of stuff come out that I dont plan on. I remember earlier this year in AP World History I was giving a speech on The Roman Empire during the times of Jesus and I , without thinking compared Jesus to a drugdealer and a pimp. I got in trouble , but got an A!!! :D
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I hate it even worse when I'm playing my bass and my mind wanders like that, one minute I'm playing along thinking about the song, next thing I know I'm going over a grocery list in my head and thinking about how much money I'll have left on payday after I pay bills and then the next thing I know I'm playing out of time and have no idea where the next chord change is :meh: