1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Fret High Notes And The String Clicks Down

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by -executor-, Oct 30, 2006.

1. I don't know if this is normal or I have to adjust something but when I fret higher notes (generally 7th fret and up) on the lower strings, the strings click on the frets. I don't have my action extremely high, its pretty much normal. I was thinking that I might have to adjust the truss rod but I don't think it would make that significant a difference. Is this what I have to do? Would this help? Is this just a normal thing that happens?
    Responses are appreciated.
    Thanks

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    either your action is too low or you are plucking the strings too hard.

so

check the truss rod relief height, if thats okay, check your bridge height and see if those might be too low.

if those are fine, then lighten up on your technique. if will feel awkward for a couple days but after you get it down, you should be able to move a little faster.

3. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    if you slap a lot, then your action is fine (it's probably pretty low right now). to remedy this, adjust your plucking style so that your strings vibrate parallel to the fretboard, and not towards-and-away from it.

4. The problem I have is not right hand technique but, like I originally said, left hand technique. When I fret a note and push the string down onto the fret with my left hand it makes a clicking noise, not when I pluck with my right hand.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

OK. Keep your fingers curved low and close to the strings. Don't hammer on unless you want/need to. Turn the treble down a bit. :D

Garth may have a point here. I have discovered that there is a supple interaction between lh/rh that can create little clicks, and it requires a lot of vigilance to eliminate them. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

6. jesusplaysbass

jesusplaysbass

Apr 17, 2006
    just throwing it out there..i think an answer to your problem might be getting your left hand and right hand exactly in sync... (they should be anyway) but this will help to eliminate the fretting sound...

practice scales at stuff with a metronome at like 60 then build up gradually

7. yea if you hit the note just as you press down the click is not as noticable.

or just turn the treble down a bit. :bag: