1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I fried two of my pedals. How likely is it they can be repaired?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BeorhtDana, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:25 AM.

1. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and accidentally plugged an 18v power into my Aguilar TLC which promptly fried it. It won't power on now. Oddly (or not) enough, this also fried my B7K Ultra which was connected to the same DC Brick but to the correct 9v output. All 5 other pedals connected to the DC Brick are fine.

So what is the likelihood they can be repaired? They're both out of warranty so I'm counting on having to pay for it, but will either of these companies even bother doing it, and will it be financially worth it? I'm pretty bummed about this. I emailed Darkglass and Aguilar a few days ago and haven't heard back yet obviously since it is Monday.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not sure about Aguilar because the new ownership, but Darkglass will take care of you. In fact, I'm surprised that it didn't have some sort of protection to prevent that so there may be other issues, maybe with your power supply.

BeorhtDana likes this.
  3. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Ouch...............

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 10:39 AM
  4. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    Good point. The DC Brick power LED started flashing like crazy when this happened. I might replace it because I don't trust it anymore.

5. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    Big time. Of course it was the two most expensive pedals on the board.

6. Perhaps there was protection.

@BeorhtDana
    If there was a protection diode, the excess voltage would have burnt out the diode, like a fuse. If so, you'll have a handsome paperweight until that protection diode is replaced and then see what, if any, other damage may have occurred.

Even with a protection diode, enough juice may have got through in the time the diode took to burn out, and fry something else such as a chip.

Have someone local to you look at both pedals and the PSU, hopefully DG and Aguilar are amenable to supplying your local shop with the info needed to make the repairs.

PS: Since they're out of warranty, care to show us a gut-shot? Maybe it's visibly obvious if a diode is burnt, magic-smoke smell etc...

7. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I did open them up but could not see any components that looked burnt or anything like that. Definitely no smell.

Aguilar said they could fix the TLC for me for $42.50 plus shipping, which I guess is fair for it being out of warranty. That's the price of being dumb. Haven't heard back from Darkglass yet.

8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    I would at least check the voltage on each tap on the Power Supply with a Multitester.

9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Just saw this. Interesting. But now Korg owns DarkGlass. So who knows what will occurr.

10. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    This is why I wrap the heads of my 18v connectors in red electrical tape- so they don’t look the same as a 9v! Tip for future

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021