1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I gave up on Bass GAS...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Although I am now seriously studying bass instead of just buying basses and playing along with records, my personality as a collector has gone back to my original obsession: pocket knives. This got a special boost recently because automatic (switchblade) knives are once again legal to carry in Illinois provided a person has a FOID card (firearm owners ID) and your local municipality has no anti-auto laws. As a person too young to have bought an auto before the Federal restrictions on a interstate movement of Switchblades dried large up scale domestic production and importation, this has been a great chance for me to learn more about these kinds of knives.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Gaolee and Farseer like this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember a guy from L.A. moved to our middle school when I was in eighth grade.
    One morning he opened his duffle bag, (yes those were cool to carry to school back in the 80's. I had a Nike one), and inside was a switchblade.
    I remember being scared to death, then I calmed down.
    I also remember getting one at our local fair that was actually a comb.

-Mike

blastoff99 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have literally owned thousands of knives since my Dad gave me a little jack knife when I was five. I know switchblades are threatening in the eyes of many people, and I rarely talk about my hobby with non-knife people. I thought my video was interesting, and the fact that many states have recently legalized autos means they are becoming mainstream. The fact is that a knife does not have to be an auto to be opened quickly.
    Kitchen knives are used to kill more people than anything else.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'll be kind of surprised if the TB overlords allow this, especially with the banhammer coming down on firearm discussions.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To be honest, I do not see my switchblades as weapons, especially my California sized knives which are tiny. From a legal standpoint, a Knife is simply a tool until used otherwise. At more than 57 1/2, I have not been in a fight since 1974. As an older fat guy with bad knees, I am not inclined to try to roll around with bad guys like a ninja. I am simply good at avoiding bad guys!:smug:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    NigelD and Gaolee like this.
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

I liked this post because of high school duffle bag content, not contents. I still have my Sehome High School duffle bag with my name on the side. It will outlast me I'm sure. Must be made out of cast iron.

But yeah, those duffle bags were a thing!

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We had this joint in our local mall called The Squire Shop. They sold trendy clothes, but they also carried these super sweet duffle bags. You could get them to match your school colors. They had a ton of them.
    We couldn't afford to buy me a Squire Shop duffle bag, so I got a Nike one in black and red, not my school colors.
    Talk about humiliating.

-Mike

8. blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Oh, these weren't just school colors. These were colors, lettering, and logo on both ends. Personalized with usually first initial and last name. Shoulder strap for another couple of bucks. Can't remember what I paid for it, but couldn't have been too bad because it was canvas. Just about every high school kid in the county had one. They were sold at two local sporting goods stores and that was it.

You could tell the frosh a mile away, with their unfaded and stiff duffle bags!

9. blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    And I always carried a knife in mine. How else would I cut my apple?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. I still carry a knife almost daily. The utility use is something I would be lost without. I see it no different than carrying a screwdriver or other tool.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I had a really nice Buck lockblade in high school. I don't know what happened to it. I hope whoever has it likes it as much as I did.

Car keys are little switchblade now. Kinda funny, in my opinion.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Kia key switchblade springs break within two days, IME.

Gaolee likes this.
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lol.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The thing I always find funny is people who ask me why I carry a knife asking if they can use mine when they need one. They get to use a cheapie, not my good ones.

JGbassman likes this.
  15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When I was in the USMC I went to Okinawa for a while and I took a Buck 110 with me. One night the local cops took it off me and said I would have to come to the station to get get it back. I went to the station and they said I could let them have it and go away, or pay a fine and get it back. I paid the fine and was trold to come back in three days and I could have my knife back. When I went to get it they handed me a big envelope with a bunch of chunks of my knife in it. They tore that thing up really good.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You probably should have gone to the PX or BX and bought another one.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    They didn't sell them over there. You could order a new Fender or a Harley, but no knives.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wow, my father was career Air Force, and they always sold knives on the post. Maybe there is an agreement with the Okinawa government.