1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i get AM radio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by genocide roach, Mar 9, 2008.

1. through my pickups. its worse on my active basses, and is usually accompanied by hissing.

what can i do to solve this problem?

its always the same station, no matter where in town i am heh
    ~gR~

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Using a sheilded cable?
    If yes, then your bass needs to be sheilded.

3. looking at the guts of my basses, theyre all shielded pretty well. i dont know about my cable though. i just use a planet waves.

what can you tell me about shielded cables
    ~gR~

4. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Hmm... well shielding can go along way. I've seen a guy paint all the insides with shielding paint and then put copper plates on top of that and then stuff those things with copper foil.

Yep.

5. Usually a bas ground on either a cable or a pedal. use any pedals?

I'm in the middle of the UK and when I used a particular pedal (Alesys) I used to get Tokyo radio!!!!

6. no pedals. a small rack set up though. amp, BBE, tuner, furman
    ~gR~

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If it's a planet waves guitar cable then it should be sheilded. As opposed to a speaker cable that has two wires in it. Sorry, don't have anything else to offer.

8. i think it must be the cable, now that i think about it. cuz it happens in all guitars and different amps. the cable is the only common link
    ~gR~

9. try changing the wiring i had that problem and i flipped the wires around so + goes where - is and - goes where + was. fixed the problem for me. usually that just means the pickups were out of phase with each other.

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You need to get a ferrite choke for your cable. This will filter out any RFI you're getting. It is not sheilding or wiring.

This has been discussed here a few times.

Search "Ferrite" and "Choke" and you'll find the info you need.

Good luck.

11. +1 on the ferrite choke

12. does the station play good old rock'n'roll ?
    :bag:

13. oldies and christian talk
    ~gR~

14. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Are you always using the same amp when this happens?

If so, try using another bass with the amp.

15. no, it happens on my bass amp and 2 guitar amps. like i said. the only common link is the cable
    ~gR~

16. Oh man, flashbacks to spinal tap.