Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I get to play bass for my Grandma!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 13, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Well my mom is going to las vegas to visit my grandma,because shes sick and old.And my mom thought it would cheer her up if she saw me play bass.also my uncle plays guitar and hes never heard/seen me before.well there gonna tape me,and im not sure what songs to play.any ideas?im thinking of playing the solo in "feels so good" by 311,and im not sure what else.maybe "around the world" by RHCP,any more suggestions to rasie the spirits of me grandma?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it could be great to mix one of your favorite songs with a classic song that your granny knows. sometimes from the old times. ask your mother if she know something more about the favorite song of your granny and play that for her.
    good luck!;)

3. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Play "Greet the Sacred Cow" or "Tommy the Cat" by Primus and ill come down and see you play as well. :D

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm sure she'll love RHCP. Actually, since she's your grandmother, she'll probably love anything you play.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    OK,this is very urgent...barosso,thanks so much for the idea!I found out that my grandma really likes glenn miller,so im going to do "in the mood" by Glen Miller.I searched tab sites,but none had them.Does anybody know any sites with the sheet music for it?If any of you guys can play it,can you tell me how to play it.I think the best way would be to tell me the scale and the root note.thanks!

6. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Check TabCrawler.com. I would do it myself...but im a lazy sonofab1tch.:rolleyes:

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i just said that there on no tab sites...:rolleyes:

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have played that song a few times with big bands. The only thing that you are likely to find is standard notation.

If you do find the notation, that is great except that song starts with a bunch of rests for the bass, and the goes into this sort of a swing/walking line, so there is really nothing recognizable that you would play on bass that would allow her to understand that you are playing that song, unless she is a big bass fan and has been listening to that bass part all along.

The melody of the song is driven by the horns.

Chas

9. Your grandma has good taste. Do you have any horn friends to tag along? Maybe a trumpet or something. You can find sheet music for that tune for the horn pretty easy. As far as the bass, well...just swing it like you mean it.....:cool:

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  11. Notactualyabass

Notactualyabass

Jan 14, 2002
    England
    how about a golden oldie by buddie holy really twisted;)