1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I give up... the Sterling is the best mass produced, 34" scale, jazz neck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I love my Sterling HH

My personal fit is 34" scale, jazz neck, 4 Strings!
    I love active basses with at least a 3 band EQ
    Multiple pickups, series\parallel

I can get a TON of tones with the 5 position switch, then play with the EQ a bit & I'm hitting almost any tone.

If you can find me a more versatile bass, 34" scale, jazz neck around the same price I'm all ears

I've been through
    G&L ASAT- 2 band EQ only, couldn't find a warm tone I liked
    EBMM Big Al- Sounded like the Sterling, like the position switch more
    Fender Jazz MIA Standard- I like the tone but its not as versatile
    Will Lee- Fantastic bass, wish I had the dough for the Metro used even. Sterling still a bit more versatile however

Things I'd like to try
    SB4000- Nice bass, not sure it would unseat the Sterling though
    Fender J Deluxe- Gotta try it

Considerations
    Spector Doug Wimbish- only a 2 band EQ
    Peavey Cirrus- 35" scale

The Sterling is just so versatile with the 5 position switch. Being able to roll through 4 pickup positions (Breaking up the 2 humbuckers into 4 singles). Recommendations for a backup that doesn't make me want to go right back to the Sterling ??!!

Edit: Signatures are Sublime with Rome & are GONE now :)

ry%3D400.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Why did you clean off the signatures? I'm not really one to get a bass signed (How do you even do that? Bring it with you to a show?), but if quality acts were to sign it, I'd pay to have a thin clear coat put over it.

Anyway, to the bass, while I'm not a huge fan of the Sterling, I have to admit that EBMM really knows how to get a wide variety of tones onto one bass. :)

3. Nice bass!

I get a ton of tones out of my Reverend Mercalli (5 string). But Reverend makes several interesting 4 stringers, like the Thundergun, Decision and Justice. Maybe worth investigating for fun if there's a Reverend dealer around you...

Also, Lakland 44-02's are extremely versatile.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I went to see Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke a while ago, and there were probably a dozen guys in the audience who brought their basses with them to get them signed.

5. Yeah, I find myself picking up my Sterling a lot, even though I have nicer basses, the Sterling does get several good tones that are quite different. And they are a breeze to play.

About the bass getting signed, it isn't impossible to wind up practicing next door to pretty heavy acts. Not to mention some bands still have opening acts?

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I almost bought a Sterling....in fact there's a thead on it.

Couldn't do it. Couldn't stand to pay that much for a bass without a blend control. It's very versatile except for the most basic of controls.

Ended up with a Lakland 4401 with dual coil Barts and Audere 4 band EQ. Amazing bass with more eq options and coil switching than a Sterling :)

7. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I really liked my 4 string Sterling's tone options. But I am 6'5" and usually buy xlarge gloves and the fingers are still too short! If that were not the case I would still have that tone/snarl master!

8. Wait you said 'best x bass' and you weren't referring to a jazz bass? This thread makes no sense...

9. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    really digging the pick guard

10. Thats the control I care the least for on a bass, myself. There are entire manufacturers I dont consider because all of their basses have blends, not switches for the pickups.
    I feel like it is easier to deal with a switch than a blend when playing out live.

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I agree. You don't really get a blend of the pickups with a passive blend control anyway - just the three settings you'd get with a switch.

12. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I love my Sterling, it's great quality all around and hard to make it sound bad. If only it had 24 frets..

13. I took out my ATK tonight for a jam, wow that was a versatile bass, fell in love with my Ibanez ATK again.

14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I scratched my butt a few minutes ago. Amazing how versatile my plucking fingers are.

15. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I played active basses for years, 4 and 5 strings, 34" and 35". And then there was one day I found out that I really don't care about versatility. Got a passive 4 string Gibson Thunderbird.

I even don't use the tone pot, just play and it sounds and feels so perfect - to me.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyway, if "switches" are what seems to matter over here, an Ibanez SRXXV and a G&L Tribute L2000 (even if "Precision necked") are both 34" super versatile and tone aplenty active/passive basses (a thing you forgot to mention) and, being active/passive, able to cut thru

PS: if you talk about an American deluxe (and I admit you surprised me mentioning an American standard: no switches and more pricey, if you stick to Sterlings) you also forgot a MIM Reggie Hamilton Jazz: 3 band equalizer, active/passive and P/J configuration (with Noiseless bridge pickup) at your price.

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    Didn't you have this Sterling up for sale on CL in Boston? The signatures look familiar.

I mainly play a Stingray HH and I don't think I'll ever sell that thing. Sound, playability, and build quality have all been excellent. I've never got to try a Sterling HH to do a direct comparison.

I also just picked up a Carvin SB4000 which I'm digging but it's just not as versatile tone wise as the HH setup. It was mainly to upgrade my Squire Classic Vibe Jazz which stays around for practice only these days.

18. +1 to Stingray HH. And with a SLO Special neck if find it the perfect size.

19. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    FUNKMETAL: The sigs just started wearing off so I just removed em

Greateful: I would LOVE a Lakland 44-02 but its a P bass neck & my arthritic hands can't do it

MMBongo: I LOVE the position switch better than the Blend. I have a Bongo 5 & the blend is good but just not as versatile as the Sterling. Sterling\Stingray 5 HH beat out Bongos in versatility for sure. Different sounds so you could surely prefer the Bongo no doubt & I like mine

JWJ: Pickguard is Candy Crush at Pickguard Heaven, good people

Calvacade: I agree with the pickup selector live. I run through 4 positions regularly while playing covers to nail the tone of the originals.

Wallace: I mentioned the G&L ASAT, the L2000 is a P neck. Active\Passive didn't impress me much on that bass. Oh that bass can cut through but it was hard to mellow out. Ibanez are a little thin neck wise. I'll have the try the Reggie, good call.

8o8: It may be for sale again, I hate black! I may get another color but same bass since I realize I will NEVER not have a Sterling HH

20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Kwesi is a "true believer" and cannot be reasoned with. I predict in 15 years he will be general of the Jazz Bass Army and squash the MM Rebellion.