I give up.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

I've been working on this tune all day, and I've realized there's no way I can make it work. Lots of good ideas, but none of them work well together. Perhaps if I changed the main riff everything would fit, but after 5 hours of this and still no good ideas, I've realized that this song just isn't going to happen. Now the whole song has been scrapped, and I've just wasted the entire day. Pooey.

I hate it when this happens. Sometimes you can just work and work and work a song, and it still seems to fight you every step of the way. I hate to throw away the idea, but I can't see pushing it if it's not going to happen. Ugh.

I guess it's time to move on to some Cardigans covers. :scowl:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Quit being such a little bee-otch and cowboy up. You show that song who's boss, and let it be known you'll take no such lip from a whipper-snapper like that. That'll teach it.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try moving it to a different key. Sometimes that helps me.
  4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If you are a singer.

Don't write the line on bass. Listen to the tracks without bass and fill in what you think the bass should be doing. I always record a "vocal bass" track before I settle on a line. I'm a better bass player in my brain than in my hands.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well vocal aside I still find it helpful.

Usually when I write I find myself playing in a key that makes reaching certain notes easier and I get stuck using the same ideas and prashes again and again. When ever I see that happening I try to move it somewhere else that will make me rethink the song because my hands dont just walk to certain places on their own. It makes it more difficult to play at first but in the end getting new ideas come out easier.
  6. Put the song on the shelf for a few days, then come back to it when your mind is fresh. I bet you'll see new possibilities that you couldn't see before because you had your nose too close to it.
  7. Thats the spirit, give up! Just don't try, you just wasted five hours of your time, why waste any more?

Because its music! More importantly bass. Dont give up. Never. Ever. Period. :bassist:
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well kids, you tried and you failed miserably. The moral of the story is, never try. -Homer S.
  9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Indeed. Sleep on it. If I could only count the times that I created songs by reviving ones that I thought had died...
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Sorry to hear that ben. It's funny you mention that because I've been working on a new tune, and I'm afraid it's gonna end up like what happened to your song. All the parts sound cool in my head, but I'm not sure that they're gonna translate well when recorded. This is why I haven't tried recording it yet....I'm a puss.
  11. Alright, this situation requires some STEVE PERRY baby!!!

Ben, "Dont stop believen , HOld on to that feeling yeah, streetlights , people OOooooaAAHhHOOOO"

Makes me wanna quote Baseketball : " Hey, you promised no more Journey psyche outs" Muwahahahaha
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Baseketball... aaah how i do love that film.

"Just hangin' out, playin' Nintendo- cock!"
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    f# minor. that's the answer. f# minor. :hyper:
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I whole heartedly support this solution.
  15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Great suggestion.
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Heh, I've been stuck on this one song for about a week now. Just can't find the right verse part. I'm waiting for it to automatically fix itself when I least expect it (it always seems to happen that way: you grind away and get disgusted with your lack of progress, but then suddenly the next time you tackle the song, boom, you immediately come up with the magic part.)
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I almost forgot to comment on that second part.

Great advice. I wish I had a way to record my voice. Right now I come up with the idea in my head and just go note by note hoping I dont lose it before I figure it all out.
  18. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Try a different bass.