i give up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    all i want is a passive five string fretless (for under 600).
    is that really so much to ask?
    the only one i can find is a wishbass, and i don't feel like waiting two months.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing cmoes to mind, doesn't seem like a very popular instrument in that price range.

I'd check ebay for used Carvins.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You DON'T want a wishbass.

How about any number of Fender clones or low-end Fenders, particularly used ones? Most standard P-basses and Jazz basses are passive. You can pick up a Jazz-style passive fretless five from Rondomusic.com for about $140 and use the extra money to put nice pups, pots, strings, a BadAss bridge on it if going all passive is so important.
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
  5. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Beat me to it Bryan :D
  6. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    damn, not a bad idea, and i won't even have to save up :hyper:
  7. You can get a B5 fretless for less than $600 from carvin

or even a B5 fretless kit for less than $450
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    how about a Brice 5'ver fretless?
  9. you should be able to find an MTD kingston 5 fretless for around $500-$600. People rave about em on here, do a search. You might have to do some calling around to find one.
    the prices on the page are msrp prices, a store should knock off about $200 (or so) off that price.
  10. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have an older Ibanez 5 fretless (mid/late 80's roadstar II) but it has active emg hums.

Best option: MIM Jazz (do they make a five?) fretless, or get a Warmouth fretless neck.
  11. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah! my buddy has one of those and they are really great for the price. He got his for 350, i think. Used.

Check the bay!

i got a warwick off there for 600... you never know what you can find...
  12. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
  13. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    nah, it's really dumb - they have a standard five, and a standard fretless. but NOT a standard fretless five. that was the first place i looked.

14. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    that bass is pretty much EXACTLY what i'm looking for. if i can find one used, i'll be a very happy man

15. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i've never heard of brice. are they any good?
  16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Some tb'ers have them, very affordable... go try one out and let us know.
  17. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i think i'm going with the rondo suggestion.
    i'm going to put on a badass II, put the duncan vintage passives in, replace the pots and cap, straplocks, and maybe even get a fancy little graphite nut. then, with the money i've saved, i'm going to get the whole thing set up at a luthier.
    and if i'm feeling really saucy, i may even get the chrome pickup and bridge guards.
    i have to wait about a month because they only have the nasty blue ones in stock. i'm waiting for either black or natural.
    thanks for all your suggestions, guys.
  18. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I just bought one of the $130 5 string SX Jazz copy fretlesses from Rondo (the Lake Placid Blue one). It arrived this past Wednesday (shipping was lightening fast). I have to say, for the price, I don't see how it can be beat. I'm not fond of the stock tuners, they either seem too loose or too stiff, so I may replace them shortly, but other than that, I have no complaints. The pickups sound suprisingly good!

I took the cheap, horrid, stock strings off yesterday and put on some roundwounds and the thing had a great fretless tone compared to how it sounded with the stock strings! I just need to add some relief to the neck now though, as these strings have a lot less tension than those cheap flatwounds that were originally on there and I picked up a buzz on the first fret (and only the first fret). Looks like I'll be playing around with the setup over the next couple of days or so. lol

Good luck and have fun!!
  19. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    awesome, that's the one i'm getting (except not in blue :spit: ).
    i'm gonna go with flatwounds.
  20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I know this may sound like "DUH" but what about Warmoth? I just picked up my 5'er NEW from Warmoth - Everything included (I finished it myself) for just about $550. Pickups and all the hardware and the strings!!! I will say this - If I can put one of these together, most of us in here could build one.