Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i going to get a cheap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 18, 2006.

1. washburn t24

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. olp mm2

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. SX SJB-62QMD

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. i going to get a cheap bass

of these three which should i get

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I voted OLP based on I've never played a SX, I don't dig lower end washburns, and my best friend's OLP MM2 plays great for the price.

3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Yup i voted OLP too

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I voted SX. A perfect beginner's bass, and a great bass to customize as your tastes change.

5. My vote would definately go for the Washburn Tarus, great bass for the price, exotic woods, neck-through and the one i played felt great IMO. I've read a few reviews complaining about the electronics tone, but nothing bad concerning build quality. 2nd choice is the SX, OLP's just feel cheap to me, whereas the other two are cheap but don't feel like it.

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1

7. bump

8. The Taurus is a great bass for the money.

9. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I voted SX. I had a black one that was a nice bass. Sounded good and looked exactly like a Fender! It's very easy to mod with Fender parts if you are so inclined. I purchased it at Rondo's as a floor model for 99 bucks. Sold it to a friend a year later for 75.

10. I'd get the SX, although I don't like the quilted maple film finish. I'd prefer straight 3TS ;) The filmed finish looks very fake to me (I actually owned one), and the 3Tone Sunburst is pretty nice, showing tha ntural grain underneath.

;)

In my experience, the SX and OLP mm's are at a similar overall quality level, but I find the SX gear to be far more consistent.

11. Taurus!!!

great basses! Mahogany Neck-thru bass? for this price? why would you want anything else!?!!

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The SX is a good choice. I just sold one on the bay, teh same model you're lookin at too...:p

It looks good, and would stay in tune for like two weeks if need be. Excellent choice IMO.

13. are there any suggestions for set-up for the sx or is it pretty good out of the box

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Good out of the box. Hell, it was in tune out of the box (pretty close)

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I'm not familiar with the Washburn. The SX and the OLP are way different from each other. SX is a Fender Jazz clone, OLP is a MusicMan Stingray clone. Kinda like asking which is better, a Big Mac or a slice of pizza. It all depends on what you're hungry for.

16. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    OLP's are actualy solid basses considering the price.

A cheaper Yamaha/ Ibanez are usually good bets too.

17. couldnt have said it better.