I got $350 for xmas... new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thursday, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I got $350 dollars for Xmas and I'm thinking about getting a new bass, Cuz I'm working on my MIM Fender P right now.

Anyone knows a good bass?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For $400, you could pick up a Traben Array. Ibaniz, Peavey, and Fender are my favorites around the $350 price range.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Could you please provide more information. What amp do you have? What type of music do you play? What tone do you like?
  4. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'm guessing you're sticking with 4-string...
    ...since you've got a "P", you might try some other classic basses:
    * Fender Jazz MIM
    * OLP MusicMan knock-off - As long as you don't mind passive electronics, the OLP is highly praised

Either of the above would give you a reliable "classic" sound to supplement your P.
  5. ibanez sr400 or sr405 are in that range i think. great basses

6. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Are you looking in the $350 price range? or are you going to combine that with other money for a more expensive bass?
  7. You can get 3 SX basses for $350. :D

Rick B.
  8. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'm usually pretty harsh on fenders, but I got one and discovered that they're the bass standard for a reason.

I got mine for $200, you could pick up a few pedals or new pickups with the leftover cash. :D
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get a little more money and buy a Yamaha BB414 in Metallic Orange.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I see you have an older MIM P - why not take the $350 and what you can get for your old bass, and find a used MIA P? Do you like what a P does for you?

If you're willing to get rid of your MIM, other basses are out there, too - you could probably find a new or used MM Stingray SUB, a used G&L, or some other quality MIA bass.

If you're going to stick with a second bass for your $350, you'll be limited to lower quality stuff. I vote for one really good standard bass instead of two cheaper but okay basses. Been there, done that, have the scars...
  11. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Listen to your Uncle HeavyDuty and get the most value for your dollars.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Careful - I also suggest that people lick their fingers and insert them into light bulb sockets!
  13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes! And definitely buy used, it'll net you a much better bass for your budget.
  14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep- and if you decide to sell at some point, you'll get a much better return on it.
  15. If you can scrape up some more dough, check out the Schecter California Custom 4 Basses. I just bought one recently and have had nothing but great comments on this bass.. Its essentially a hot-rodded jazz bass with active electronics. Not only is it visually attractive (online pictures dont do it justice), it sounds great also. It is leaps and bounds better than my MIM jazz, SX jazz, and MIJ jazzes I have played.

If you do a little bit of seaching on here, you can see peoples comments on how they are one of the most underrated, and under priced, jazz basses you can get. With its 35in scale, the sound that comes out of it is super tight, punchy, clear, and growly.

I've stated this in another thread, but I've played everything from $100 SXes to $15,000 60's Jazz basses. Having said that, I can see this bass becoming a permanent member of the family. I bought it with the intention of giving my Modulus Q6 a break from taking it out every weekend and getting wear and tear on it. This Schecter has proven itself as more than just a backup bass.

http://www.music123.com/Schecter-California-Custom-4-i128528.music thats what it looks like. You can find them used (even though they are discontinuted and a bit rare) for cheaper. I've even seen them used for $350..

Let me know if you have any questions.