Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CROZ, Feb 22, 2001.

1. I traded some useless guitar stuff I had laying around for a Carvin fretless 4-string. It's maple down the center with mohogany on the sides and an unlined ebony fretboard. It's passive but I'm thinking about adding a bartolini pre to juice it up a bit. The previous owner did some wierd stuff to the electronics, though. The p/up switch goes neck, neck/mid, then OFF unless the pull-pot is pulled up. None of the tone controls work either w/o the pull-pot. It's kind of freaky! :D

I never really like the Carvin fretted basses, but this fretless is pretty cool.

It's my first fretless...I think I like fretless...a lot.

Later...

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool deal. Carvins were the basses I lusted after when I was in highschool... hehe Maybe I will get one someday too. I think I will go for one with less exotic electronics though. :)

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The switch is not weird.
    When you pull the pot.. you enter PASSIVE mode, wich disables the preamp.
    You can only control the volume.

4. What you have is an active/passove bass, and a very nice one at that, congrats

5. It's not an active/passive bass. It has no batteries or circuit boards inside. It's just wired wierd. You'd have to play it...to understand the fundamental wierdness. <i>C'mon! There is one knob that doesn't do anything at all. No wires are hooked up to it. </i> I was thinking maybe it was an active bass and someone pulled out the preamp and wired it passive real quick. The solder joints look nice, though. I'm taking it to Mike Lull ASAP. The no tone controls thing is bothering me. I like to roll off a little treble if you know what I mean!
    <p>
    Thanks for the attempt at help... Tallguy, IFibara :D
    <p>