Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a djigeradoo! (sp)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Aug 18, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys dont know if this should go here or in the general music forum, but here goes.

I received a djigeradoo last night from a friend of my father who knew that i like music and that i play the bass clarinet in addition to the bass guitar. Its a real beauty made out of solid walnut i believe, and its over six feet tall. Now ive been looking on the net for tutorials on how to play it, but what ive found is not very in depth and has not been helping me get the drone out of it. Does anyone have any advice or know of a site that could help me out?

Thanks everyone
    -Alex

2. Do you have the wax to make a good seal around the mouthpiece? It's essential.

I love didj. sounds cool.
    An artist from Australia, Ganga Giri, makes EXCELLENT didj - electronica music. Check it out.

As for tutorials, I got nuthin. I'd love a didj. tho, so if you find something, share the wealth!

http://www.gangagiri.com/

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    nah i dont have the wax...i read that i need it too, so i guess ill have to find some place to buy it

any suggestions?
    thanks
    -Alex

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just go to a crafts store, and you can find in the candlemaking supplies sheets of real beeswax. I generally break this up and melt it (in a double boiler so as not to start a fire!!!) then just dip the edge of the didj in it. I made mine out of a length of PVC, since it was inexpensive. Works great, but that whole "circular" breathing thing is beyond me.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Trevorius, could you send me a PM about how you made your didgeredoo?

About the playing, circular breating is the key, I understand the theory behind it, but to actually do it...

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've made several from PVC pipe. I find it very easy to play with a raw, scaled down PVC mouthpiece, no wax necessary. A loooong time ago I found a chart that shows what key your didg will be in according to varying lengths of 2" pvc pipe. I later met a guy who can play straight on the 2" pipe but my mouth is too small for that! I used a pvc coupler and just stuck it straight on the end to bring the opening down to, I think, 1.5 inches or maybe a tad less. You can take it down as small as you want. Then just play it. No need to make it all fancy with the flared end and all...it sounds great as is. You must include the length of the coupled descending mouthpiece in the length of PVC when configuring key.

Here - did a search and found a chart of keys and lengths on a how-to page:

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-26367/pvc.htm

they really sound quite good considering they're so simple.

Circular breathing isn't hard, it just takes practice.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  8. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    i built mine out of pvc too. Ive seen some that have a sliding piece like a trombone so you can change the key. pretty niffty. I have trouble circular breathing strong for more than 4 or 5 inhales, but can make some crazy sounds, like the barks and screams. its really fun to harmonize against the drone.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you don't have a proper heat gun like he uses you could probably get it done with a propane torch too.

brad cook

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Another question; how do you exactly blow the didj? Is it the sound from your lips that vibrate being amplified by the tube?

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, that's the basic drone sound.

brad cook

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got one too, my wife bought it at a ren fair a couple years ago.

I can't circle-breathe worth crap though.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have two. One is fairly traditional. The other one is shaped in a figure eight, so that the bell is in line with the mouthpiece, about a foot away. In all it's about a foot and a half by two and a half...and probably seven feet long, altogether.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Clever!

brad cook

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've been trying to do some circular breathing today, my cheecks hurt I have to say :)

Anyway, the "sniff n squeeze" is fairly simple, althought the exhaling part isn't fully clear. Do you:

A:exhale, and let the air flow out of your lungs, via your mouth into the didj (well, straw in my case), using the power of your lungs to force the air outside, or do you

B: exhale, fill your mouth with the air from your lungs, and then use your mouth to press the air outside (similar to the sniffnsqueeze)?

I'm thinking option A is the correct one, but I'm not sure.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use option B. I don't know how you could do option A and continue the exhale while simultaneously refilling your lungs. You fill up your cheeks with air and press it out while you inhale through the nose. The inhalations while you're emptying your cheeks have to be very quick.

brad cook

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Cool! I have a relatively small didj,about 4 feet long. When my brother and his wife were leaving for Australia on their honeymoon, he asked if I'd like anything from Oz. Joking, I replied, "Yeah, a didjeridoo!" He rolled his eyes at the absurd request, but at Christmas a couple months later, they handed me this long, cylindrical gift wrapped thing ...

Nearly 14 years later I still haven't gotten the circular breathing thing down, but then I don't have the proper amount of time to devote to all of my musical instruments anyway. ;)