Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a free Peavey CS800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, as the title says, I got a free peavey CS 800. It's been a bit beaten up, and it doesn't currently work, but it was free. And I'll fix it, and have a cool free power amp. Anyone else get any cool deals like this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    do yourself a favor. after you fix it, leave it at your church, those are heavy for not much power.

but good deal - free is very good. i got a cs-400 for 150 a few years ago.

brad johnson is the king of deals.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I figured if it worked again, I would use it for an amp for home audio stuff.

4. I recently got an Eden VT.40 that didn't work for free. The guy even shipped it to me for free! :cool: :D :hyper:

Now if I can only find the time to fix it.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well trev, sounds liek its take it to tech time. IIRC, peavey will send you schematics.

and darn basstrader, cool deal! i love that old vt-.40 amp. IIRC, they had overheating issues, but man did they sound good!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice score on that Peavey. Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

-Mike

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No need to take it to the tech. Fixed a broken level pot, and fiddled with the fuse, and it powered right up! No need to take it to the tech. I was thinking it might be a bad rectifier, but it turned out ok. The only other thing I must replace is a set of binding posts, and it's all good. Heavy as hell, but it was free, so I'm not complaining

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I was in a band once that had 3 800's in a rack. It took two of us just to tilt the thing into the back of the van. I remember them having an equal noise to weight ratio. :D

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, the XLR broke on the first channel. Crap... oh well. another project for another day. The thing I DO like about this amp is the built in customizable crossover. And also, the PL-2 unbalanced to balanced converter is cool. Though I don't know what purpose it would serve after being brought to the amp unbalanced anyways... Anyone know? I have a peavey rackmount active crossover that someone gave me as well, so that'll go well with my two power amps. The peavey will probably end up being for highs, and my Crown for lows. Now to find someone giving away speakers...