I got a GIG!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hambone, Jan 27, 2001.

1. I don't know if I should celebrate with "WooHoo" or a "omigod, what am I doing?:)

When I got back into playing over a year ago, I promised (fooled?) myself that I had no intention of playing in another band. My last one was over 20 years ago and I got so fed up with the whole scene that I dropped out without a regret. I just wanted to keep my mind active with a new hobby after the auto racing thing and thought that this would do nicely. Well, after my chops came back (even some new ones) I got the itch to interact with others again. I sort of thought that I would get my yaya's out by playing at church but the waiting list is long for those positions and this opportunity has presented itself.

Fortunately, I might have found exactly the situation one would look for in my position. The group is a bunch of older family guys that do all original music and have done one CD so far. They rehearse once a week like a "guys night out" and have goals of exploring/satisfying their musical needs by recording and playing the occasional festival or even a gig or two. They don't want or need a second job and aren't blinded into thinking that if they only could be discovered they would be superstars. Apparently we've all "been there and done that". Their motto is part time in practice, full time in mind. That's very reassuring. I pulled a couple of their songs off of the web and found out that they aren't lightyears ahead of me in talent. That's reassuring too. Most impressive of all is their lead singer, who IMO, has one of the 2 or 3 finest unsigned rock voices I've ever heard. He can really cut through. With all of that, the entire package is very appealing.

My first real introduction to the band and rehearsal is tonight. Talk about butterflies!! I auditioned by submitting a recording and this will be the first time I've played with the group's instrumetation. Boy I hope I measure up and don't disappoint them or myself.

At any rate, here we go again....
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    That's great Hambone. :D Break a leg!
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    as we say in the navy HOORAH!
  4. Well, the rehearsal went pretty good! This was the first time all 5 of us were in the same room together. Of the original group only 2 remained (rhythm guitar and lead vocalist) so there was three of us shakin' hands and getting the pleasantries out of the way. We put together 4 original songs in the span of just under an hour. Sure they were simple but even the drummer commented that he thought that it would have taken 3 weeks of rehearsals to get to that point. I would probably agree. The drummer and I clicked (thank you, Lord) so the rest of the arrangement was pretty easy. But we've all been here before so maybe that's how easy this will be after all.

The original group was named Green Machinery (ugh!!) but that's going to change if I have anything to do with it. You can hear a couple of tunes from the first CD at
    Of course what you hear isn't me (it should be painfully obvious :))

Thanx all for the encouragement
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Good Deal, Hambone! Keep us all posted. My situation is rapidly becoming similar to yours, and it's good to hear that there's "life after getting fed up".
  6. Well, it seems you might know more about the band than I do!:rolleyes:

Yep, I'm in. And, just as you said, the remaining members are Tony and Doug. After listening to the rest of the CD that I got last night, I have figured out the name and relation to the music. Doug is a former Marine so it fits with the "Green Machinery" theme. We've even got one track that has automatic rifle fire, bombs, and all manner of cool effects on it! BUT since Doug now has kids, Doug's wife says that we've got to concentrate on less violent lyrics :(

I wish that there were other tracks on the website. Those are nice in their own way but some of the others are much more interesting rythmically and structurally. Since I hadn't heard all of the material, I was hoping for more complex compositions. It's there. We will probably retool all of the songs and re-record with the current line-up. I'm beginning to think that I am pretty lucky to have found this type of situation since it is the ONLY situation that would have pulled me out of my self-imposed exile.

mchildree - you probably don't remember but we met last year at JT's bass get-together. I've been reading your posts on TBL with interest. It seems you've been in some very interesting situations with some very interesting people. Boom Boom Boom!! :)
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Nice going, Hambone! Sounds like fun. I'm also fairly sure that I've got a working lineup together. After almost a year of floundering, the guys who started this band I've been rehearsing with seem to have come together - after 3 drummers, and a few dead ends. I grabbed a couple of people from other aborted projects, and it seems we're off. Hoping to play by March sometime, but who knows - it might take a little longer. Let us know about yer first live gig!
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Hey, sure I remember! Wish I'd been able to stick around longer with everybody, but we had a kid-sitter for a limited amount of time that night.

Hopefully we can get all the Atlanta Talkbass and TBL folks together again soon. This time I can bring the kid along, since he just got his first bass. 11 yrs old and he's pulling out my Zappa cds! Whoa!

9. Hambone can I get some backstage passes when you guys are all famous n stuff? :D

I think it`s great you are getting back into it!Keep us posted!

Best Wishes!