Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got a gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    www.geocities.com/mainslut

silly band name, but they need a bassist for a few upcoming gigs including one during BIKE WEEK in Virginia Beach. i need to learn 6 songs by May...no problem, i learned two of them today. Motorhead's Cradle to the Grave and Kiss' Strange Way. Not sure what the other cover is and the guitarist told me the originals are 3 chord biker rock. That's basically what they are shooting for, an appeal to the bikers. Fine by me.

It's the side project of the singer's other band and I have my other band as well. But hey, it's something to do and it'll be my first gig as a bassist (did about 50+ as a drummer).

My name has not been added to the site yet, but I think it's gonna be either D*ck Head or D*ck Butter! LOL! :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Congrats man!
    Keep us posted how it turns out

Good luck! :)

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Gigs are good. Congrats.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i wish you the best luck!!

just don´t want to see the story of your gig in the Bass Humor section :) (you know what type of gig stories are there!)

5. Theres nothin like playin in front of a couple hundred screaming kids at any kind of Gig.
    What a Rush. My first Big gig was about a month ago, in front of a couple hundred people. We played awesome, and the rush you have when they start to yell "Rock On!" is awesome.

Good luck, and I wish the same rush for you.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    by the way, the thing on the website that says the goal is to get drunk and high does NOT apply to me. :D

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Allright!!

Interesting band mates, they must have a BIG liver!!;)

8. Congrats dude!

Sounds like it cold be fun (and interesting).Make us proud! :D

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Way to go ! Nothing like a new gig to get you to realize why you're doing this. By the way - there are no silly band names only silly bands. The Beatles would have been a horrible name if the band had sucked.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Gigs are good", eh? Here's a dose of reality from The Keller archives-
    ...have you ever been in a situation where your band is the first one to play a club after a management/music change? Or am I the only one?
    Here goes-
    1)A Country bar wants to go Top-40/R&B. Problem? No one tells the regular patrons. I'd a bet almost anything that a person couldn't do the 2-step to "Operator" by Midnight Star! This scene, right outta The Blues Brothers, happened to me & this particular band 3x's!
    (The bars' names were The Golden Nugget, Bully's Big Country, & The Cowgirl Lounge...just testing my memory; dammit, I still haven't forgotten!).
    2)Then there was the time a certain nightspot in Va. Beach decides to return to being a "straight" bar; again, no one tells the regulars! ;)
    (Bar's name was The Crystal).

***The Worst***
    3)I used to play in an original band; we were so desperate to gig that "we"(the BS singer)accepted
    a "job" in a strip club/dive called Bluebeard's. Talk about people being stuck in a '70s time warp; Classic Rock or death was the order of the day. Of course, this particular band was some kinda Acid Jazz/Avant Funk thing. In the middle of our 4th tune, the owner hands the singer a note: "Get off the F***ing stage. You guys belong in a garage"
    LOL!

Anyway, FME, gigs may not always be good! :D

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    JimK, check my profile, or look at some of my other posts. Don't even get me started on the gig stories - I did 4 years on the road, followed by another 2 more locally based. I can tell you about club owners pulling guns on us, cat fights in front of the stage, long weeks in front of nobody, injuries/illness....blah blah blah. Let's just wish Acacia good luck on getting out in front of some people, and hopefully making a few bucks.

12. JimK and geweimer,man I`d like to hang out with you guys and a case of beer and just listen to all them wild gig stories! :D Bet I could really hear some chit! hehe......

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gweim-
    ...I guess I'm "lucky" I never went on the road; I'm gonna have to start hitting the "Gig Stories" forum to hear some of your tales! ;)

Good luck, Sean!

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    JimK, actually I'm one who HIGHLY recommends that roadwork happen to a young, aspiring musician. (adopting a poor Scottish accent here) - It'll make a man 'o ya. It will also teach you about discipline and people. I may have left the biz, but the lessons I learned on the road are still with me (not to mention some other, umm, abilities I picked up along the way).

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    just a lil update.

the gig is one week from this friday. we have not practiced yet. i know 3 of the 6 songs that we're doing now. starting tomorrow, we're gonna practice almost every nite until the gig.

i think we can pull it off. :D Not like we're doing anything complicated.

16. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Acacia

Improvise like fcuk. $hit, can I get sued for that?

17. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    holy crap...we practiced for the first time last nite..got the 2 cover tunes down, nailed the common original and wrote a new song. simple as it was, it works. one week till the gig...eeeesh!

18. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Do I hear nerves here, Sean? :D Have fun at the gig, and I can't wait to hear about it.

19. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    dang right i'm nerved up! ;)

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Let's see.....a week to put together 3 more songs. Shouldn't be a big deal, unless you're planning on doing stuff like Yes....
    Don't sweat it, you'll be fine. You should be in my shoes - we've got maybe 6 rehearsals left over the next 3 weeks, and we need to lock down about 20 more songs, AND figure out the set list.