I got a grabber!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A 1972 gibson grabber! All original! and it actually works.

Scratchy pots... dinged up a bit, but oh well.

They wanted $450, so i took my jazz bass in... that got me $330... then they took my gig bag for like.. $10, plus the change from the strap and new gig bag i bought for it....

Pics when i actually get the other $142 payed off and i have it. :D
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Ouch, Mike. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good! Hehe, just kidding.

Those are wierd pickups (I googled 1972 Gibson Grabber, found an e-bay auction for one). How do they sound? They look like two sets of crunched-together, fat p-bass pickups. But, as you said up above, it's not about looks.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Was it a MIM jazz? If so, you got $330 for a MIM jazz? how the-
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

It was a deluxe MIM jazz... and only a year old.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, deluxe. Yea cause around me new MIM fender jazzs sell for about $385 so i was curious. woot.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads Mike, just watch out for the headstock warping they tend to do that.
  7. Congrats!

I used to own a '69 (or supposedly) Gibson Grabber, but it had the single sliding pickup. I really loved that. The bass had a great feel, great sound, even across the entire neck, and I could adjust my sound by sliding that pickup, even while playing. The '72 model doesn't have that sliding pickup, does it?
    The bass had alot of road rash, but still played great.

8. flury

May 21, 2004
    I actually love the way them things look.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Ya, it still slides.... pure sex.
  10. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Congrats on the new score Mike.
    I remember back in like 88' this elderly guy who made accustic guitars, had one, the thing was in excellent condition. Some guy had traded it for partial payment on an accustic guitar.
    I remember how I really wanted it but he didn't want to sell it.
    It also had the sliding pick-up.
  11. is it still ugly in person, MM? :smug:

awesome buy, compared ebay that seems a wee bit expensive, unless it's in really good condition!
    and now for a history lesson...
    I believe the Grabber was released in 1970 (sliding pup) and it is very easy to "fix" if your pickup is slack - either tighten the four screws around the pup, or simply removed the scratch plate and replace the "fluffy lines" - sorry for bad description - the pickup its self is ona sliding plate, and there are what is like 2 lines of suede on each side of the plate (on the scratch plate) these can wear away after a while, easy too replace!

the G3 (3 peizos, black head stock) was released in 75.

My Grabber is the best playing bass I've ever played. Far from my favourite sound (however thru my buds 4x10 trace... :hyper: ), My G3... well. It's awesome. Very versaitile, almost a cross between a rick and a Sting Ray, except with a tang, giving a unique sound.. Just my opinion.

Wish my G3 had my G's playability!!! :meh:

hope you enjoy the bass MM, they really are awesome! :smug:

[edit] i forgot to say, i think that the G's "sister bass", The Ripper, was released in 72, which had 2 hums and a 4-way pup selecter, many on TB have said it was a much more versatile bass, it also had a 3-point bridge (i think, not the same as the G's...)
  12. Bastard.

Even if they are ugly as sin, they play and sound great.
  13. personally i think my G3 is very beautiful... :cool:
    the G is a classy, the soapbar gives it that vintage look.

also wish my G3 had a finish.. :meh: hehe
  14. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    bands 'botch' (RIP) and 'cave-in' come to mind... they both use grabbers in their music. great tone.

i'm quite happy with my ripper- i looked around for years to find one!
    sounds are superb. the out of phase sound is great.

i'd like to try a grabber. i tried a g-3, but it wasn't to my tastes.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why the hizzle did you revive this thread?
  16. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    ummm. why not?
  17. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ....yeah! [​IMG]