I got a gu*tar today :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 15, 2002.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've been playing bass for 2 1/2 years now, and I'm too anal to find a bass that I can buy and just enjoy, so I bought a gu*tar. A PRS Santana SE for only $400 with a PRS gigbag included, I couldn't pass it up. I don't see myself as a hot-shot guitarist, but I thought if I learned chords and theory on guitar, it could significantly help my knowledge as a bassplayer... what do you guys think about my "theory"?

2. Certainly never hurts to learn a new instrument and therefore more about music. It will definitely help you improve as a musician and probably a bassis - it'll help reveal new things to you that you didn't think about before!!

I've got a few guitars as well and dabble a bit!! I'd love to learn a bit of drumming as well - but due to space, money and the wife (she'd probably let me if I was really serious!!)- that's not likely to happen!
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    A friend has the same guitar as yours so I have spent some time playing it. It's a nice guitar and yes you got a good deal. IMO playing both instruments helps understand playing the other, but I take on a whole different approach as they are different instruments with different roles. Have fun!
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Me too! I did the trade for the used Gibson SG-I that I wanted.

Man, I forgot how small electric guitar strings were! I need to put some .011s (or bigger) on the thing - it's like playing spiderwebs now.
  5. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I've been thinking along those same lines. I think it's great to play a guitar as well. It certainly can't hurt and you got a smokin deal.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    my favorite guitar so far...

my step brother's Squier Strat. origannly s/s/s pups, now its h/s/h. we spent an afternoon going to a music store, buying a dimarzio pup for the bridge and a gibson for the neck, picking out a h/s/s pickguard (there were no h/s/h in our area), and sanding it until the gibson pickup fit. :D

it took weeks to get the wiring right :rolleyes:
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I just got a new pickguard and accessory kit for my Strat. it's now Black & Purple Moto :D

I've got a picture at the bottom of the page in my sig.
  8. I had a Squier Strat, but the neck was tiny. Now my axe is an Ibanez GAX70 in Transparent red. I got this simply because of the neck. Nice and wide. It sounded muddy, but I disconnected the volume and tone knobs...and I was rewarded with more volume and tone! Wow. It's a great little axe IMO.