1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I GOT A HARTKE 3500 but no SPEAKER...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I just bought a Hartke 3500.. I think its pretty good stuff. But I need a Cab !
    I want a loud sound, I usually play rock or dub..
    I need a loud but polyvalent speaker..
    Could u advice me??

2. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like Ampeg speakers the best. Theyre powerful, full of bass, and have a pretty decent warantee. Also check out avatar speakers. That is probably what I would get due to their price. Theyre very well made and use great speakers, best of all is that they sell for a very cheap price.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For rock or dub, you should check out Hartke cabs.

One cab that is awesome for dub is the 215BXL. It does lack mids and highs though so if you really want that for the rock stuff you should try adding a 2.5XL or consider their 410BXL or 4.5XL instead.

If its in your budget you should also check out their 4200 cab.

Peace
    Nick

4. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I heard that hartke cabs wasn't appropriated to my sound because they send too much high and middle.. That's due to their aluminium cones...
    Ampeg is far too expensive for me..

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    not to my ears...i don't think they sound harsh at all

6. Well, if Ampeg is out of your pricerange, then the only things that really are are Carvin, Hartke, and Avatar.

I've been hearing only good things about Avatar.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    avatar! you won't be disappointed...

8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I heard that hartke speakers weren't that great. I dont really like the aluminum cones and the cabs with the paper cones I hear are cheaply made. I'd definately go avatar in your situation. they're awesome for the price.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try the Hartke 215BXL. It does not have too much mids or highs!

Its actually really good as a sub woofer and barely gives off any high mids or highs.

Give it a test drive.

Peace
    Nick

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, i'd say avatar as well. only thing is, being overseas, that they're direct purchase only - but they're pretty inexpensive so even plus shipping and taxes it should still be under what an ampeg costs.

and they sound great! i'd think a compact 12 and compact 15 would do you quite nicely!

11. While avatar may be a good choice if you live in the US, I wouldn't bother looking into it if you live in France. Unless you were lucky enough to find a used cab over there, you would have to ship it from the States. While the initial price looks good, after shipping, taxes, and exchange the price will be enormous and you might as well buy an Ampeg. I would suggest looking for Carvin or maybe even Peavey cabs.

I don't live in the states, and for me an avatar 4x10 would cost $200 more than than a used Eden 4x10...no contest there.

12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea, but Carvin sells direct too. Would'nt you still have to get it shipped overseas? If it were a choice between Carvin or Avatar, I'd go avatar because your still going to have to ship it to france and pay the taxes. Avatar overall would sitll be cheaper.

13. Go down to your local GC or Daddy's and try out a Peavey BX 115. I use this setup at practce, and it totally rules.
    You can pick up a used one for $200. in excellent cond. all day.

Please try this before you dump a lot of dough on something else.

14. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I fairly recently bought a used Hartke 5000 and I use it with an Avatar 2x10 and an Avatar 1x15 which I also just bought. I had originally been looking at the Ampeg 4x10 which is a great cabinet but very heavy. Because of it's weight and cost, I decided to give Avatar a try since they got such good reviews here. I'm not at all disappointed. With the Hartke 3500 I'd use the Avatar 4x10.

15. Anyway, first I'd see what you can find locally. Personally, I'd rather have a used Eden/Ampeg/Mesa than a new avatar if it is going to cost the same.