Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a mark hoppus bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Mar 23, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    A pink one.

Ill be posting a review tommorow.

But in short - This bass is great. I bet if it was just a normal production fender, alot of people would buy one.

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Rad. I think I'll be getting mine this summer. Do you think people are biased because of the neckplate?

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada

Yes I do...and its true, people don't hide it either, they are always saying "It would be good if it wasn't a mark hoppus bass."

4. I wouldn't mind it so much about it being a mark hoppus bass if I could at least have a little tone control. I admit, there's not a lot of tonal variation with a p pup....but the bass looks naked without one.

5. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Everyone says they're going to replace the pickguard anyway. Why don't you just add the tone knob for like 5 bucks?

EDIT: Typos :rolleyes:

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey congrats on the new bass
    Cant say im a blink 182 fan at all..
    but congrats it looks like a real nice bass i like the colors.. I have a P bass right now *Squee* and i love it.. may it provide many years of solid fun for you man...

7. I think if it had a tone knob, a lot of people would buy one.

But that aside, how does it sound compared to a regular P-bass? Does it have a special pickup like the Tom Delonge strat?

8. What makes it so special besides the disgusting color choices? It just looks like a p-bass without the tone knob. Why would they get rid of the tone knob?

9. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    The Mark Hoppus bass has the Seymour Duncan QTR-PNDR P-bass pickup in it. I kinda like his tone but not quite as much as the guy from Offspring...*drool* Stringray's+a jazz bass(new "Defy You" video)...I wonder if he used to use a p-bass.

10. I have to admit I played one at vancouver long and mcquaid, a pink one.. I did not know it was a mork hoppus till after. I really disliked it. I find the mexi Ps to sound better. Oh well to each there own. I am glad you like yours!!

peace,

Drake

11. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    It has a Jazz bass neck instead of the P bass neck. And Im not sure about it, but I think it has a jazz bass body also. Does anyone know for sure about that part?

12. Modern Fender Precision Basses all come standard with a "B" (1.65") nut width. So it's a P Bass neck.

13. cool, i really like those basses. i never use tone controls anyway.

that is one hot pickup, i bet it's pretty wild if you play with a pick.

14. Offspring's guy used to use a P-bass, at least to the best of my knowledge. On Smash, I believe. But now he uses a Ibanez ATK, don't know about "Defy You" though

15. BillyBishop, was yours the spoken-for pink one at L&M Vancouver?

--jeff

16. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    No I got it an L&M here in ottawa.

And its sounds nuts witha pick AND fingerstyle.

17. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Anyone got a link to a PINK Mark Hoppus MIM Sig. Bass?

I've searched the Net and can't find a pic of the MIM sig bass in pink.

I’ve seen the surf green, and the daphne blue, but the only pink one I’ve seen is the MH Custom Shop version, which is apparently a completely different pink.

I'm trying to decide whether to order one in pink or daphne blue.

So any help would be much appreciated.

[And FWIW, I couldn't care less about MH or Blink-182, I just like the idea of a Jazz-shaped P-Bass, no more no less.]

18. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I tried a hoppus bass about a week ago, the action was tremendously high on it. It was very hard to play for my small hands. The bass was a vintage aqua foam green. very nice color. imo

The reason the quarter pounder pickup is so hot is because they removed the tone knob pot. Van Halen did this too. If i had a p bass I would remove (or cut the wires of) the tone circut too. Does anyone use it anyway?

19. I played one at GC. Its's got a P neck, J body, 1/4 pounder pick ups. I didn't like the lack of a tone knob. It sounded good otherwise, I just didn't dig the colors available. Nor do I like pearloid pickguards.

Other than it's overall appearance, it sounded good if you can adjust for good tone on your amp. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the bass, though. To each their own, man. ;)

20. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I basically want something almost the opposite of the Hoppus bass. I want a P body, P neck, and J pups.

Oh yea, I'd also like the tone control.