Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a mid 90's MIM Jazz for 150 bucks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbader, Aug 14, 2005.

1. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    I was thinking about getting an SX Jazz bass, so I could mod it out a bit for a little fun. But instead, I was talking to one of my employees for a bit a couple days ago and somehow this subject came up where he says that he as a few guitars, but he really doesn't play much.

So I asked him what kind of guitars he had. "Mostly Strat copies, and such." Prying further, I asked him if he had any basses. "Well, some guy I knew in high school owed me 200 bucks, but he didn't have the cash, so he gave me a Fender made in Mexico Jazz Bass." "Oh, really? Do you play it much? Would you consider selling it to me?"

"Yes."

So there you have it, I now have my Jazz. Now it is time to start makin' a wish list of stuff I'm going to do to this bass. I'll be sure to post better (and more) pictures of the progress.

Attached Files:

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Now that's a good deal!

3. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    mod it man!

if i were you, i would change the pickups to single-coil Sadowskys and Sadowsky onboard preamp with VTC and no to forget a Badass II bridge. That would get you to sound like a god.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good deal, but remember that both pickups are the same size. Either going to need to have some minor routing done on the bass or really limit your pickup choices.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What a gret deal, Congrats.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A few suggestions:

The Plow

Mine was (is) the same bass, but fretless (and 2001). Same color, everything. Got it for $200 in a pawnshop last year.

Attached Files:

7. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    Yeah, I've had a Jazz before (wasn't a Mexican, but I don't remember exactly what it was, it was 1992!) and one cheapo Fender P, I don't even think it was a Mexican Standard. But it wasn't a Squier.

I was actually thinking about keeping this bass entirely passive, because in my experience, a passive bass is much easier to record...and well, time is not something I have a lot of when it comes to home recording, so getting a great sound right off the bat is appealling.

And that bass is quite astonishing, Eric!

Thanks guys! I'm really excited because I'm going to go try this through my rig today. :)

-Todd-

8. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Mine cost me over $900(725euro) new :crying: