1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got a new bass... and I've already modified it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillisCool, Jul 6, 2005.

1. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    This past weekend I got my new bass... a Geddy Lee Fender. :)

[​IMG]

I had been playing an MIA P bass for the past year and I was really unhappy with the sound... it was always boomy. I tried several amp combinations... Yorkville, SVT3, and now a Mesa... and I could never get a sound out of it that I liked.

This is a crappy video that you can kinda hear the boom that made me so unhappy... which I probably could have EQ'd out but is no longer a factor with the Geddy.

http://www.teband.com/videos/merlins1.AVI

I tried the Geddy and was amazed by the tone... it really reminded me most of the Rage Against the Machine sound. Really warm bottom end and the ability to really control the tone with my fingers.

I couldn't stand the neck though, it really made my hand cramp up... so I put the American P bass neck on it and now I'm totally in LOVE with this bass.

Now I just play. :)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Congrats on your purchase. Your happiness is all that matters, but you DO realize that the neck is just about the only significant difference between the Geddy and the 'regular' models, right?

3. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Actually, the bridge pickup is further back, which really sold me on it... :)

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats on the new bass. :)

So.. uh... what are you doin' with that uncomfortable Geddy neck? ;)

5. so what are the plans for the p with a geddy neck? sell it possibly?

6. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Ha, I knew that would be the next question...

The Geddy neck is going to a friend of mine... (sorry guys!)

I'll probably throw the P body (complete) on ebay or something...

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    DANGITT!!!! *argh* I'd LOVE to have another one of these, sand it down to tung oil it, and slap it on a highly figured Warmoth body with some DM Ultra J's...

8. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    You've been PM'd.

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What about the bridge? It's got a Badass II already on it. That's a big selling point too becuase Fender bridges suck (or at least I think they do)

I'm thinking of getting a geddy as well (In fact I'm going down to my local music store to check one out in 15 minutes.) I love the neck but I've been playing a really thin neck since the beginning (Ibanex GSR200). Also neck thickness doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the shape. I'm just at home on a Rick or a Warwick as I am on a Fender or my Ibanez.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Except now to observers they have no clue your playin a geddy :<

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Another happy Fender owner..and remember .....We love Fenders.. :p

12. Dasein

Dasein

Jun 19, 2005
    Georgia
    That's awesome. I'm planning on donig quite the opposite. I'm getting a precision bass and putting a rondo jazz neck on it.

Good thing for the BA bridge on there, I can't stand Fender bridges. Mine was litterally falling apart before I got a new bridge.

13. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    AMAZING SOUND! WE LOVE FENDERS! GONGRATS!

14. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Honestly... I could care less now what it looked like... I really am in love with this combination. It's just perfect for me. I don't think about playing anymore... I just play. :)

15. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    p - neck... j-body... commerford would be proud ...congrats!

16. But Commerford uses lefty necks... he likes the longer E or B it gives him.

~Ryan

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since when? .....

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not ALL of his basses have this. He's been doing this since he got his doubleneck.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats what i thought

thanks

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice combination. I'm personally getting a Marcus Miller with a P-neck so I know what you're appreciatin' ;)