I got a new bass today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Im a sock, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Since my Cirrus is on it's way to the Peavey factory to get "looked at" :meh: , I needed to find a replacement seeing as I'm not going to have it back for at least a month. I scoured all over Boston this weekend and ended up with.... you'll never believe it.... and Ibanez SRX705.

I know people's opinions on Ibanez's, and for the most part I hold the same opinions. I never in a million years thought I would end up with one. I just picked it up and started playing it, and it felt so natural in my hands, which is wierd because I've been completely pampered by my Cirrus for the past five years.

Anyways, its neck-through with solid construction (as far as I can tell). It looks very well put together.

It sounds really good too. They're advertised as being perfect for metal and nothing else, but I've been playing funk all day and it sounded fantastic. The only problem with the sound is a really high pitched buzzing, which is no doubt a grounding problem that needs to be rectified.

In other words, it's not too bad for a cheap replacement for my Cirrus :).

And now, for a couple pictures.

2. Besides than a couple of aesthetic matters, the only 2 band eq, and the fact that the bridge is not like the ones in the new standard soundgears.. I think they are excellent basses..

Don't underestimate Ibanez :cool:
  3. BTW, hey Imasock..

How's the string spacing on it? I've only tried a 4 string..

Is it as tight as the other soundgear 5 ers?
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi luis... I'm not sure of the exact string spacing, and I can't compare it to other 5 string soundgears, but it's definatly tighter than my Cirrus. However, fingerstyle and slapping is no problem.
  5. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    that's a pretty classy ibanez. :cool:
  6. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    nice pickup. very pretty. And that buzzing sound seems to be really common on Ibanez's. On my SB900 its not a problem unless you turn up the treble all the way. but on my SR400 it is always there, though sometimes it is worse than other times. I have never bothered to have it fixed though because I don't notice it unless I turn up the volume when playing the SR400.

anyways ya, nice buy.:D
  7. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the newer Ibanezes(?) are built tons better and play much better, in my mind, then the ones they have put out the last few years... some of the new ones are downright cool! I really like the looks of that one...