Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jul 27, 2004.

1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...079318434/g=home/search/detail/base_id/116126

I should be getting it august 5-6. Which is cool because my bday is on the 6th. Anyway, I've heard alot of s*** about agathis, though guitar world did a review on a guitar that had agathis. They said it had 'excellent resounding capabilities' or something along those lines. Either way, the bass has gotten great reviews.

I can't wait to get it :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i wonder what it is with the metal type basses and agathis, ie: BC rich and ESP/LTD?

Looks nice though.

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Looks great man. I just played an ESP bass for the first time this past weekend and I was impressed with the playability and sound.

4. People have been telling me it's a great wood and all, but since it's so abundant it's used often on low end guitars/basses, therefore it gets a bad rap.

I think they use it alot this year just because of it's cheap price. Cheaper to make + sell at same price = more profit

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not knocking on cheap wood. I like the sound of Basswood, and thats not exactly the most expensive wood either :p

Only woods i dont like are plywood and laminate and really poo stuff.

6. dude wheat thins are nasty. my mom eats that garbage

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    the wings are made from agathis, not the core body thats the neck made of maple and other wood i cant remeber its name

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You learn to like them. Its called manhood. :)
    j/k.

Idk ive recently started liking them, only the reduced fat ones though, taste better. But how can you not like them, they are salty, crispy, and wheaty.

9. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot that neck thru's where the main body, thanks for reminding me! :hyper:

Btw it's maple and walnut. hehe i said 'nut' :D

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, walnut.

Don't know about these basses, but I'd love to get my hands on a 70s BC Rich

11. Yeah I love those. So many knobs... :D

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like the side/face contouring on those. I've always thought that if you stripped one of those, sanded the "extra" points down to smooth curves, and refinished, you'd have a very attractive bass, and a 35" scale neck-through to boot.

13. Yeah the beveling job on it is what attracted me to it. Then I read all these great reviews about it, and decided, this is for me! :D

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to outlaw "metal" instruments when I'm ruler of the world. Or at least the music industry.

15. What's wrong with 'metal' instruments?