Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 4, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A Peavey Cirrus 6 in Tigereye quilt maple, ebony board, birdseye maple neck, 3 band EQ with sweepable mids, wooden control plate covers and wooden knobs.

I was planning on buying reedith's Peavey Cirrus 6.

I was out playing Cirrus 6's today to make sure that my hands could handle the neck, and was made an offer on this bass that I couldn't turn down.

Mine looks like this, except the quilt is a little more open, and of course it is a 6 string.

[​IMG]

I'll try to borrow a digital camera soon so I can take some pictures.

2. Can't wait to see the pictures, Embellisher. Those are very pretty basses. :)

3. embellisher

Time to update the old profile.

4. speaking of profiles..

i wonder when paul will upgrade my account to " supporting member ".. i'm sure the cash must have arrived by now..

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man. stop getting so many basses. didn't you just get a new bass? give me a couple to take off your hands.. they will have good homes :)

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    congrats embellisher!! at the moment i'm drooling and the cause is the fender precision sting signature. i want it!!!

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Embellisher,

Sweeet!! I'm just getting to the point where I can stop drooling of the Cirrus. The ones I liked the most though were the wenge/walnut, the redwood, and Tigereye quilt.

Nice score!!

Peace,

James

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    great bass Jeff!
    Can't wait to see pictures!
    Is the electronic standard?
    The have sweepable mids on the cirrus?

9. embellisher

Yvon, only the tigereye Cirrus has sweepable mids.

It also has walnut knobs, ebony fretboard, abalone side dots, birdseye neck(5 piece, 3 birdseye, 2 walnut stringers) and walnut back plates.

All of these options are exclusive to the tiger eye Cirrus. It is a limited production run and lists for $1000 more than the regular Cirrus.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    sound great!
    First time I hear of that model Jeff, thank you!

Yvon

11. So, embellisher.... I can definetly see the Cirrus (Man!) next to the daisy bass:)

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    argggggh Jeff!! Always getting a great bass! ;) I Shall come back with some new bass ;)

DM

but congratulations on your new bass! Cirruses are TERRIFIC! I love them :)

DM

13. Can't wait to see the pix. Congrats.

14. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    congrats man. cant wait for those pics. by the way, how much did you get it for??? enjoy the new bass

15. Like you need ANOTHER new bass...:rolleyes: :D

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    congrats. Sounds like a beut. Selling your zon now?!! :D:D:D

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    lol :D I will never stop until I find the right bass ;)

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    WHOA!!!!

Where did you get this?! How much did you pay?!

Now that it has an ebony board....AAAHHHH!!!

Congrats....now find me one! :D

19. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Nice. Maybe I ougtta go check out some Peavey's. I need a higher quality but economical second bass. That looks like a good pkg deal.

20. embellisher

~$1500

Hey, I worked hard for these basses!:D Honestly, I sure can't justify any more now. I have a great fretted 5, a world class fretless 5, and IMHO a world class 6, plus another 6 and 3 four stringers.

No way!:) I still love it as much as ever.

That Zon Legacy you were talking about looks like a winner, DM. Go for it!

Well, they still have a 4 sting Tiger eye.;) I got it at a local chain called Mr. E's.

Yeah, like I said, the Tiger Eye's have several features that none of the other Cirrus' have. Walnut knobs, sweepable mids, walnut truss rod cover, walnut control plate covers, ebony board, abalone side dots, quilt headstock overlay, and all 3 pieces of maple in the neck are birdseye.

So far, the 3 main things that I like about the bass are it's very light, the action is amazingly low(and I haven't tweaked the setup yet!) and the B string is better than my Zon and my Pedulla. Wow!

Another thing is that unlike most 5 or 6 strings with 2 pickups that I've played, there is no phase cancellation on the B string when you use both pickups. I have noticed this on every contrabass that I have ever played, other than a Cirrus or my Zon, although I am sure that the high end manufacturers have figured out pickup placement better than the mass production guys. Peavey places the neck pickup in a different spot on the Cirrus 5 and 6 than they do on the Cirrus 4, and this is the reason.